Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cockapoo: mating..that has bitten my husband..go to emergency bleeding

Is there such a thing as a bad gene from inbreeding cockers and then mating them with apoodle which gives me a cockapoo? I have a cockapoo, 5 years old, that has bitten my husband and myself many time, the last time was 3 weeks ago and I had to go to emergency bleeding like crazy and get stiches! He has been doing this(biting) since we got his as a puppy. I have been told by trainers and doctors that he has the bad gene and I can either send him to heaven or have his canine teeth pulled which will stop the extent of the wound. This is just tearing my husband and myself up and I need an answer fast because I am terriably scared of himnow and carry a large frying pan or something at all times. My stomach is upset from all this. We have never had a dog like this. PLEASE HELP ME.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Have had him see a trainer with 22 years of experience. Did not work!!!!!

If the trainer did not work and you have tried your hardest, it's time to think about humanely euthanizing the dog.  I hate to be so blunt with you but it's not good for you or for the dog to be in this situation.

I suggest that you see the vet right away to rule out a medical cause for the aggression.  At this appointment, you need to discuss your euthanasia options.

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous, even small ones.  It doesn't necessarily mean that the breeder or gene pool is bad.  It just means that this is not a good dog for your family.

Because of his agression problems, I do not recommend trying to find a new home for him.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Would pulling his canine teeth help matters? We do love him and want to keep him. Isn't there an answer besides send him to doggie heaven????
 Has any medication been used?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: We have asked about medication, but the Doctors are not keen on this idea. Said we would have a jombie for a pet. Why, what do you have in mind?      Sincerely,[email protected]
Did the trainer you went to use force training methods (choke or pinch collar, corrections etc)or positive reinforcement methods?
Did the trainer talk to you about the Nothing In Life is Free training program?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, No the trainer did not mention Nothing is Free Training Program. What is it? Sincerly,[email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, No the trainer did not mention anything about the Nothing In Life is Free training program. What is it? Sincerly,[email protected]
The nothing in life is free program is a method of handling a dominant domineering dog without hurting it or getting hurt yourself. Its a way to teach a dog you are the leader not the dog.
Unless what you are seeing is an epileptic seizure such as is seen in rage cases it should give you a start on handling your problem dog.
Check the website here for information on starting such a program http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.htm
It will mean you have to change some of your behavior to get the dog to change its.
Also for a possible trainer in you area to help using positive training techniques check out this site for trainers who belong to the national dog trainers group www.apdt.com.
There are dog trainers and then there are people who work with behavior problems - you need someone to work with you on behavior issues preferably in a non violent way as often dogs respond to force by using more force themselves.
Sometimes you can work with a veterinary behaviorist and use a medication to get you past the begining stages of changing the dog's behavior. The med is not a cure its a learning aid.
In my experience the hardest part in dealing with a dog like this is learning to change your behavior to get the dog under control!
(As for the gene thing - dogs are born with different personalities for sure but it doesn't make them 'bad' dogs though they all may need very different handling. However rage is an illness linked to epilepsy which is a hereditary issue - a short circuit in the brain sets the dog off and its not in the dog's control.)
Hope this is useful to you.
Here is some information on the Nothing In Life is Free training program.  Note, however, that it states the training is 'should only be used on dogs in
good health and of stable temperament with no major behavioral issues'.

Sounds like you have some hard choices ahead.

I suggest that you start with the least invasive/diffucult solutions and work 'up the ladder' as needed.  Something like:

Have a vet look for medical (neurological?) cause.

Re-try training -- Ideally, in your home.

Try medication (anti-anxiety/sadatives?) with Vet input/Rx.

Try training -- Perhaps in combo with medication.

De-fanging (I see this as a last resort strategy -- only to be
considered if nothing else works and you can't bring yourself to
euthanize your dog.)

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for the info, will certainly try everything you have suggested. Sincerely, [email protected]