DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

dog: started eating..Then he started swallowing..licking..lips

Customer Question

On a hike, my dog started eating the brush like crazy. Then he started swallowing uncontrollably and licking his lips. He also gagged. He drank a lot of water and that seemed to help. I took him to the vet and they gave him an xray that showed nothing. They gave him antibotics and something for the nausea. I gave him Kaopectate under the vet's direction. He felt better. We went on the same hike this weekend and the same thing happened. We've been on this hike many times before and that's never happened. Could it be an allergic reaction to this plant or could it be something more severe?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Is your dog by any chance an intact male?
Was it the same kind of brush each time? or in the same area?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: He's neutered. (I believe that's what you're asking.) It was the same kind of brush in the same hiking area both times.
You can add in an occasional loud cough.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
That rules out my thought - intact males sometimes do that when smelling 'interesting' urine from a female. Hopefully another specialist will have an idea for you!
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Since your dog is ingesting the brush...it may be worth it to take a piece home next time and identify it. There are hundreds of plantlife that have toxins that burn the mouth and throat...for example a dandelion.  The components have a poison that cause burning...ulcerations...thru the GI.

The Maalox or K-pectate  helps coat the GI and lessen the irritant.

So...try to identify it so you know what you are dealing with.  As far as why he is ingesting it...if it is carrying a deer scent or something similar...that might start it...but hard to say,

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I thought maybe it was an allergy like pollen or maybe to the plant. Could the symptoms I described be due to an allergic reaction?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Sound like that could be the problem. His constant swallowing would explain the burning in his mouth and throat. Could ingesting these type of plants be deadly? How would I know if he has an ulceration and how do I deal with that? Could that cause permanent damage?
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Again, it depends on the type of plant it is. The ulceration for now would be use of Maalox. If the vomiting continued into several days  than a stronger medication would be needed. Permanent damage...depends on the plant.

Some of these plants cause just burning and some secondary gastritis and diarrhea...others if large amounts are ingested can cause kidney/liver issues and necrosis of the intestines!
Just take a branch and get it ID.

Dr.V