Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Boxer sick

Customer Question

My 3 year old boxer is having episodes once evry few hours where she is gasping for air and it sounds like a snort of some sort when she is doing it. It happened back in the fall some time but went away. and today when i brought her outside she started up again. Her nose is runny too. Tonight when she came into the kitchen her head was shaking for 2 or 3 minutes like she almost had parkanseans disease or something. her appettite is good. But i just dont know what to do. Or even what it could be.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
just need too know why her head might be shaking or why if this is a reverse sneeze it last for a few minutes
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I just noticed that you deleted both of my responses to you.  Are you hoping for a different answer?  Or would you like another reply?

Please let me know so that I can provide more information for you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i just want al little advice on how to treat her or what it is if it is a reverse sneeze. It can sometimes last a few minutes like she cant catch her breath.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I found an informative article that might explain it for you better than I can. 

Paroxysmal Respiration or "The Reverse Sneeze"

This is a condition very common in
brachycephalic breeds and small dogs but is also seen in other breeds. Paroxysmal respiration, which is the medical term or what is commonly known as reverse sneezing is when a dog seems to be sneezing, but in reverse. The episode seems as if the dog is sucking in or honking and it lasts between a few seconds or a few minutes. To us, it appears that the dog is uncomfortable, but it is a common condition in small and brachycephalic breeds and the dogs return to their normal state when the episode is over. Some feel that massaging the neck and throat area help to stop an attack. In the "Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine" by Ettinger and Feldman, swallowing will stop reverse sneezing. According to their book, reverse sneezing can also be controlled by massaging the pharyngeal area or by briefly closing the dog's nostrils. Some people say that their dogs respond to rubbing of the upper neck area when experiencing an attack or episode. According to Dr. Mike Richards, DVM "Reverse sneezing is a problem of the pharyngeal region." Though there is no definite known cause of it, some have reported that it occurs with allergies, when dogs become overexcited or overheated, and some experts say that it is common when dogs suffer from tracheal collapse (another condition, common in small and brachycephalic breeds).

source

I have found evidence that the massage technique mentioned above works well as does forcing the dog to swallow.

Does this help more?  If not, please respond.