DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

sick dog

my dog is 2yrs. old part choc lab 7 part weimaraner we adopted him 2 wks ago from no kill shelter he has been sick ever since he will only eat about 1/2 cup food a day if that and eats grass often nose & ears are warm he is active at time but only for 1-2 minutes the shelter gave us antibiotics for kenel koff he has been on those for 5 days now no improvement he wasent haveing symtoms of kenel cough no coughing of foaming at the mouth he had diareia and runny stool once the day after we got him and thats what they said it was do you have any suggestions as to what could be wrong.

You say he has been sick. Aside from not eating, and the warm nose/ear(not an indicator of fever)...what other signs have you seen?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: i havent seen any other symtoms other than eating grass every chance he gets
 What antibiotic is he on?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: i dont have the bottle so don t know name it is a little peach colored pill says MP37 on it he takes 2 times a day

I'm good...but not that good!

I have a couple suggestions, but of course a physical exam by a vet is the obviously the best option.

Since I don't know what antibiotic it is...you need to continue it.  I think aside from the anxiety of just being in a new environment, routine...which can make a dog not eat much.  I do feel that the dog may be experiencing nausea which can come from medications on an empty or almost empty stomach.

Why don't you start with 1-2 tsps of Maalox and then try starting some boiled rice and chicken or browned lean ground beef and get the dog eating.

Of course if vomiting or something else starts, call your vet.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: do i mix the malox in with his food
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
how long should it take for him to get used to our invioment

No, just syringe it in...you can get a dropper or syringe that has marking to show a tsp OR just take a spoon and put in his mouth.

You want to give this about 20 minutes before feeding.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok thank you very much for your help how long to adjust to us

Depends on the dog...I would say within 2 weeks the routine should be down and the dog is understanding it...as well as his new owners.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: ok thank you very much for your help we realy love this dog he is perfect for us and our home i would hate for anything to happen to him so i will try what u said and make opp. for vet just incase again thank you..

You are welcome, and thank you for opening your home to a dog who needed it!

Dr.V