NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Is Schiff Move Free Supplement Triple Strength Safe for dogs.

I’ve been giving my 7 yr. rottweiler "Schiff Move Free Joint Strengthener Triple Strength" for over 3 weeks and he’s been doing really good. The last 3 days however, he has not been eating like he usually does and he has diareah. So for the last 3 days I stopped giving him the supplement, but he’s not moving around like he usually does, is this just because of the diarreah? Do you know if this supplement is safe to give to dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As far as I know glucosamine chondroitin is safe in dogs that are not diabetic.
The other ingredients I'm not so sure about.
They make pet glucosamine supplements formulated for dogs - check out www.kvvet.com for one source for those, or ask your vet, or check out the pet supply stores.
If you ceased giving him the new item and he still is having distress I think seeing the vet and bringing along a stool sample would be a good idea in case he picked up an intestinal 'bug' or parasite that is causing the problem.
You can also bring the packaging for the supplement you've been using and ask if the vet sees any problem items in the ingredient list.
If your vet simply suggests a bland diet for a few days boiled (skinless no fat) chicken and rice or boiled hamburger with the fat removed and rice can work well as a bland diet.
I also use a home made pedialyte in the water bowl to help encourage more fluid intake in a dog with diarrhea - 1 liter water, two tablespoons sugar, and one half teaspoon salt is what I use.