NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Spaying a female 3 year old dog

Customer Question

I have purchased a 3 year old female Kerry Blue Terrier that is not fixed. I made arrangements with my Vet to have her fixed and they advised me that she would need to stay overnight and they do not have someone with her overnight. Am I being a little ridiculous that I am concerned that she is going to be alone for 12 hours or more without supervision after the surgery?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 Did they say why she has to stay overnight?  This is a little abnormal.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: They are keeping her overnight with no one at the vet hospital overnight with her. I am wondering am I being silly that she is not supervised overnight?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Many vets keep animals over night after surgery.
The reasons I have been told that they wish to do this include
1) they want the animal kept quiet which is easier to do in a vet cage than a home environment
2) they want to check the dog post op to make sure there are no complications such as infection, fever, the dog pulling out a stitch etc
3) they want the dog to be free of anesthesia when it leaves (dogs still slightly under the anesthesia may act differently)
4) some vets prefer to do surgery later in the day meaning the animal is not really ready to leave at office closing time
My vet lets me bring my animals home. However he knows that I can take a temperature, check a surgery site and keep a dog quiet when it gets here and take extra care with it as needed until the dog is fully recovered. He also knows for sure that I'll be at his door or at the emergency clinic if I detect anything wrong! So he relies on my experience instead of keeping the animal overnight and checking everything himself in the morning. For most clients the animals stay there over the night.
Pretty much your dog will likely sleep the night away, get a morning check up and come home with you feeling much better than she would have if she left the night before. Most dogs go through a spay far better than we humans handle surgery.
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: That is funny I got Rosie in New Boston in November and I lived in Francestown up to 4 years ago. I still go to my vet in Peterboro and I am not trying to be silly I am just afraid for her. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to her as I lost my 13 1/2 year old male Kerry Blue in August. This is my first female dog and I do not know what to expect accept I know at 3 years old it is a little more involved.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Oh I bet I've even met your dog once there is a terrier kennel just down the street from me and we walk dogs in the same areas from time to time.
Hope your dog sails through the procedure and is real happy to see you when you pick her up!