Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

What are red worms in my dogs poop

Customer Question

no comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Any worms in dog poop are cause for concern.  It would be impossible to tell you what kind your dog has unless we can see them.  Even then, they need to be analyzed under a microscope so you can get the right medication. 

At this point, you need to take a fecal sample to your vet or take the dog in for a fecal exam.  The vet will analyze the fecal matter and will give you the right medication.  All wormers don't work for all worms so treating with an over the counter medication could be costly and won't work for everything.

Your next step is to see the vet.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: These worms were very thin spaghetti like in appearanous and about 6 to 8 inches and very thin but quite red in color. Feces had about or it seemed to be about 3 or 4 of these worm like tendrils hanging from her butt, they were stuck. I had to help her by slowley and gently pulling them and the feces the rest of the way out. YUCK! She is 75 JRT and 25 percent of an unknown breed. She is much smaller than a standard JRT but with all the markings and characterists/personality of the JRT. She weights about 8 to 10 pounds at the most. She eats both dog food and cat food and people food and milk bone bone marrow treats and pork skin twist everyday and she usually just eats one meal a day. These worms, if it was worms were dead because I did not see any movement in them. It was still quite gross. Also she sometimes drags her bottom on the ground after a bowels movement as if it itches or she licks profusely at her rear, could this be the anal gland that need to be expressed once in awhile? Hers have NEVER been expressed. She is about 1 foot long with long cat like paws. Short smooth hair, over 70 precent white with dk. brn. and tan markings on her face and Ears. Oh yea one thing. She has had all her vacinations at the dr. office but the heartworms chewable meds they sent home with us, she will Not eat at all. So she has onely 1 treatment for hears arks
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The anal glands have nothing to do with the worms. 

I suggest that you make a vet appointment tomorrow to have the anal glands expressed so that she can get some comfort in that area.

You also need to have them do a fecal exam and give you a dewormer.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: You have not told me anything that I did not know already. What I want to know is what kind of worm is long thin and red?