DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

YORKIE WITH STOMACH ACHE

MY YORKSHIRE WAS SICK RECENTLY WITH AN UPSET STOMACH. WHAT CONCERNED ME WAS DURING THE NIGHT HE KEPT WHIMPERING LIKE HE WAS IN PAIN. ANY IDEA WHY?

A yorkie is in pain with a stomach ache.  They are not the bravest dogs and stomach pain is real pain. They are like little kids...they whimper and whine and pace when their tummy hurts. You may want to try Maalox next time.

Now there are other reasons for pain...so don't think that it is always from the tummy...but it is something to watch.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
 Are you in need of more help??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: have a second answer/response, would like to view it

I don't see it...it may have been deleted. Is your dog doing better or are you seeing more problems?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Yes, he is doing better now. It was just that one night that I had trouble with him whining and crying. I know he is very much of a "baby" and can't handle pain but I was very concerned about the stomach ache. I didn't realize it was that painful for them. You're right, he paces around and sticks his butt up in the air when he has a stomach ache. Thanks for your advise, it really put my mind at ease.

There is another specialist that may be corresponding with you...The concern is that you realize the tendency for little breeds (esp.yorkies) to have some sensitive GI tracts as well as a tendency to develop pancreatitis. It is usually based on people giving tablescraps of fatty foods ( I find pork to be a biggie). Pancreatitis looks the same, but they do have abdomenal pain and profuse vomiting. To diagnose pancreatitis vs. gastritis (tummy pain) bloodwork and usually xrays are needed.

As these breeds get older the episodes can increase so we tend to put these guys on GI sensitive foods.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Ahhh, that is very good to know. I haven't heard from another specialist as of yet. I try not give my Yorkie tablescraps. I keep that to a very minimal amount. Some things can't be helped (for instance, scaps that fall on the floor and he scarfs them up). The only thing I give him on occasion is chicken. He is not overweight by any means but I don't like to give him scraps because I have heard it's just not good for them to eat a lot of people food. He is 7 lbs and about 7 yrs old now. Thanks