DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

lab terrier mix: 12 years old..spayed..access to fresh, clean water

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is a geriatric(approximately 12 years old) female, lab terrier mix and spayed. Recently my brother watched her for apx. 1 mo. I now know that she didn’t have access to fresh, clean water during that time. She now has urgent, difficult urination with occasional visible blood and incontinence. I am an acupuncturist and chinese herbalist licensed for humans. I had her on some antibiotic herbs, with some improvement over 5 days. Then I missed a day and she her problem reversed slightly. Should I also treat her herbally for stones?

She has a history of incontinence. Once homeopathic Pulsatilla was prescribed by her old vet when she was about 2 yrs old.   Unfortunatly, there is no homeopathic vet here in Massachusetts. What do you reccommend?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

From what I know of Pulsatilla it is for large intestinal problems/colitis.

In any case can you tell me the antibiotic herbs you are using? I do not recommend stone treatment unless it is diagnosed.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dear Dr. V,

Regarding the Pulsatilla, it worked for urinary incontinence and I can't comment about it's use for colitis?!

Regarding the herbs: I am combining two formulas, Herbal ABX (Evergreen) and Long Dan Xie Gan Tan plus some GI Care (Evergreen) to protect the tummy.

The two formulas normally prescribed for UTI are Long Dan... and Wu Lin San, but I had the other premixed.

Is a slow, but positive response appropriate for her age. In the past, she has responded rapidly to herbs.

Thanks,

Susan    

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

I would  be lying to suggest I use this form of treatment, although I do not object to it...

Homeopathy: Cantharis 30C 1-3x daily for the hematuria and dysuria

Alternative:

Cranberry; Uva-Ursi; Buchu; Pippsissewa; Juniper

Chinese Med:(for all formulas listed below a suggested starting dose of granular concentrate is 1/4tsp per 10-15 lb of body weight...given in divided doses twice daily)

Ba Zheng San

Wu Lin San / Jia Wei Wu Lin San  for painful urination(dysuria)

Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang (more appropriate for the older chilly animal and the practitioner may add 15 g of Hua SHi to the 100g base formula)

Xiao Ji Yin Zi when significant hematuria (blood in urine).

I am hoping some of this helps you...

Dr.Vamvakias

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

I believe that she is responding rather slowly. Is that normal for a geriatric dog? How much time should I allow for her to return to normal before I take her in for an examination?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Susan

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

In general with geriatric patients...immunologically they are just not as strong as they should be. I guess I would give an animal 5-7 days to respond (based on their comfort) and then I would change.  What you can do is take a sample into the vet and have them run the urinalysis and call you with results. You will be wanting to know red and white cell count, +/- crystals, pH, etc.  based on the findings you can decide the next step.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Your welcome...let me know how she does.

Dr.V