DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Swollen bag beneath my dogs right eye.

My dog’s right eye, or the area below the eye is very swollen and
red. It is
like a bag of fluid is underneath her eye. Only on the one side.
She has been scratching alot as well.
My vet put her on Temaril-P and an antibiotic opthalmic
ointment w, a steroid. No improvement in two days, what should
I do? It is not the inner eyelid or the conjunctiva that is swollen,
but what you would call the area where the fat pad is in a
human. No drainage is coming from it either. She had this once
before and the sac burst. Any clues? Customer
 Do you see any reddening or changes in the conjunctiva or eye itself??

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The conjunctiva just above the swollen area is red, but the white
of the eye is not.
 Did your vet give you a cause??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: No, she was being treated for itching and scratching with the
temaril-P which came on suddenly. She does not have a history
of allergies. It is springtime here in Atlanta and things are
starting to bloom.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

We are sort of ruling out allergies.

Temaril-P has an antihistamine and a steroid in it...can you tell me how many pills and how often you are giving it? We may increase it for tonight and add in benadryl and see if that doesn't get relief for the night.

The swelling is most likely secondary to the trauma of itching.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She has been on temaril-P 1/2 tab twice a day for 4 days. She
was weaned to 1/2 pill once a day today. The antibiotic ointment
is bacitracin-neomycin-polymixin w, hydricortizone 1% q 4 to 6
hrs.
Thanks Dr.V

Sorry...I forgot to ask breed and weight!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: No problem! She is a maltese-poodle mix or maltepoo, female,
age 8 and weighs in at 9.7 lbs.

Okay...for tonight you can give one pediatric dose of benadryl and if temaril-P is due, just space it by 30 minutes. (A pediatric dose is 12.5 mg...)

There are eye drops that your vet can write a prescription for from a pharmacy that actually has an antihistamine in them. The steroid may not be enough( in the eye cream)  You may want to ask them for those to use now and in case of a repeat!

Lastly, although not fun...is investing in the E-Collar (lampshade) so the dog can not rub the eye and cause the edema/swelling.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Doesn't Temaril-P have an antihistamine in it?
If so are you saying she needs more antihistamine?
Thank you!

Yep, it has a form of an antihistamine...but the problem is you are not seeing a good response.  Much like when we take cold medicines...I take one and it works you take it and it doesn't.  Benadryl is more of an acute type histamine issue...I am hopeing that swelling decreases as well as discomfort, until you can call your vet tomorrow.

The side effects with benadryl is no different than the temarilP...if you see hyper activity or anxiety...don't give it again. It is not common. Usually they just settle down, like kids.

I do think your vet needs to approach it differently if the swelling has not changed, and realize the lampshade approach may be helpful.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you Dr. Vamvakias!
I will do as you said. I was confused by the one eye and not
both. I appreciate you quick responses and good help! Customer

The one eye is confusing I agree...but unless it is the side the dog lays down on the most or other "behavioral" issues it is hard to tell.  Under the eye is just a fat pad so unless there is an obscure leakage of the tear duct...I can't think of anything remotely causing swelling in that area.

Let me know how it goes.

Dr.V