Lindsay
Lindsay, Breeder
Experience:  13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.
19772

cocoamos puppies

I have a shihTzu who will be giving birth soon. She was bred only 1 day on Feb 2 when will her puppies arrive?   What should i watch for during the next week?? Is there something that I can do to make her more comfortable?? She is getting very large, but is in good spirits. Thank You

The gestation period for dogs is 63 days.  Before she delivers, you need to see the vet for x-rays so you will know how many puppies to expect.

The best way to predict the onset of labor is to take her temperature.  When her temp drops below 100 degrees, you can expect puppies within 24 hours.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I knew this , but I was told any where from 58 days to 63 days. Is this right??? And is it right because the dogs tie the knot more than once ???
The due date is considered day 63 from the first breeding.
Because sperm can live in a female for a few days after the
breeding without fertilizing an egg, it is really hard to tell you
what day exactly. As Tammy said, take her to the vet a week
before she is due to whelp. It is not uncommon for Shih Tzus to
require c-sections, so make sure that the pups can fit through
the birth canal. Start taking her temp every morning the week
she is due. When it drops to 98, puppies should be coming
within the day. Some other signs that she will be having the
puppies soon is excessive panting, restlessness, pacing, digging
and nesting, nausea, and refuseing food. If these signs continue
for more than 24 hours without any signs of contractions or
progress, she will need a vet to help her out.

Good luck and please let us know if you have any other
questions.
Lindsay, Breeder
Experience: 13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.
As far as making her comfortable, set up a whelping area that is
far away from activity, place lots of old towels and blankets in
there, and try to encourage her to spend her time there (feed her
in there, sleep her in there, etc). There is not much else you can
do to make her comfortable.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to lcbryson's Post: Thank you for your help i also want to thank Tammy as well, even though i accepted your response. Your response was just a little more informative for me, thank you and I will let you know
Linda
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to lcbryson's Post: Hi just thought I'd let you know that Cocoa had her puppies on Mar 31 and April 1. She had 3 healthy puppies, the second one born was a little long in delivery, and was a little stressed. But with a little blowing in her nose and rubbing her lungs we got her going. All were females, and very large puppies. they were born on the 58th and 59th day. We helped her deliver them all and she's a wonderful mother. They have already gained about 8 oz.
Thanks again
Linda