ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

dog: hindquarters..to various vets..deramaxx and doxycycline...he crys

Customer Question

Is there a disease that dogs to spread to other dogs which include pain in the hindquarters, muscle weakness, not wanting to eat, drinking a lot, depression,...I have had my dog to various vets, many types of blood work done. Nothing showing. Dog put on lymes medication just in case...worked a little because of the deramaxx and doxycycline...he crys when he moves around and the deramaxx is no longer working. I am taking him again to another vet on monday. he can't walk because of his back legs at all now. It started with one leg bothering him and has progessed to the back end and is causing pain. he is now on tylenol with codine. My mother and bothers dogs are also experiencing similiar effects. The bull mastiff died after a week in the hosiptal and wasn't able to walk from weakness in his hind quarters. It was very rapid and sudden. My mother's yokie and shutz also have similar symptoms. All starting with weakness in the hindquarters. I am afraid we are all going to lose our dogs if a solution can not be found soon. They have all been on the two drugs as well. I have been trying to get help for two months and have had no answers. The one vet said it was arthritis. All blood work showed nothing. Rum. Arthis. was ruled out. Lymes and other tic born illness was ruled out. A steriod shot help for a week and then he went back to worse again. Please, my family and I would be very grateful for any help at this point...I have tried all web sites, next step is specialist, but not sure who to turn to. thank you, kristine
Category: Dog
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 What type of testing was done aside from Lymes and Erlichia? X-rays? Are these dogs all in the same area or related?  Also what are the ages of the dogs affected?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: the bull massif that died on friday was only four. the lab mix that is mine that I have been dealing with for two month now is aprox 7...not really sure he was a stray that I rescued in 98 and was hit by a car, he has pins in his front leg but his front is not the problem. the yorkied and the shutz are around 7 as well.
The lab had x-rays and they showed nothing substanial according to the head vet. the xrays were of his hip and back leg. We do all live close by one another and visit with some of the dogs, although the lab has never been to my moms and bothers. thanks.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Have you gone for a second opinion at all or tryed a specialist?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I have spoken to two vets. I am seeing a third tomorrow to look at his back legs and seeing a specialist from there. Is there any disease that could effect all these dogs though. Addison's or something similiar...it is just too coincidential?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Too coincidental. I would wait for the specialist. They can test further and more extensive. Having all different one of all ages...not related makes me think its environmental so I would mention that to the vet. Also having samples sent off on the one that you lost is a very good idea to help further. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: what kind of environmental causes are you speaking of...the only similarity is the medication...does that cause damage like this or could it be a disease that is containous...i have other dogs that don't have the symptoms and i am concerned for them as well
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Well you said they live close to one another.....possible toxins in the water/grass...but its unlikely if all aren't experiencing it...or your family. I would wait for the specialist and give them all the info that you supplied us with.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: could hot dogs have done this the only thing that my mother said she gave them was some hot dogs that she cooked? Is there bacteria from that that could have cause it...???
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 No very unlikely.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Are there any diseases that cause hindquarter weakness and that other dogs can catch from one another, but that some would not get for whatever reasons...?? thanks
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Thinkgs that you vet already looked into like lymes and ehrlichia....as Dr. Vamvakias had mentioned in your previous post...they are obviously missing something so further testing will be needed and that is best to be done by a specialist. She may need an MRI to help.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was not the lymes according to the vet i will go to specialist tomorrow as an emergency since his is not walking at all. thanks again.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Good luck and definately let us know what you find.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I will...have an appointment with a head vet tomorrow and then specialist two hours away in afternoon...last resort. Thanks for the support...just hope we can get to the bottom of this before any other dog dies...thanks again. I will be praying a lot tonight and tomorrow. Any good wishes our way would be appreciated. Take care, and happy Easter!