Olivers Mom
Olivers Mom, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
56888

german shepherd: months old..only weighs 25 pounds

Customer Question

I have a german shepherd pup he is 4 months old and he only weighs 25 pounds is that normal
if not what is the normal weight for a german shepherd pup.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.
In the same breed, every dog is still different regarding it's size and demeanor.  Were you able to see the parents of the pup?  If they were on the smaller side, this could be genetic in nature.

If you pup has had a health check and there wasn't any evidence of disease or illness; if he is eating daily near the amount he should be at this age (you can use the guideline on the food bag for reference); if his stool has been checked for parasites (worms); I would say you have a healthy puppy and there would be no reason for concern!
Olivers Mom, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: His dad was 125lb and the mom was 95lb does that mean that he is to small
No, with my experience with the GSD breed, I do not believe his parents, or your pup, are too small.  To give you an idea, most "experts" of the breed say a pup should way anywhere from 13-20 pounds at 10 weeks of age.  Your guy is 16 weeks of age and if you compare his weight of 25lbs - he certainly falls into that category.  Another thing to note is he will not 'fill out' his full body weight until sometime between 24-36 months years of age!  His height will be at it's optimum (around 12 months) before his full weight size is.  (Height by the way at adulthood is 24-26 inches - you measure this from the floor to the top of the shoulder).

If you haven't enrolled him into positive reinforcment methods of puppy and training programs - now is the time!  They have a critical stage of 3-6 months where socialization is vital to their life - along with basic obedience training.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: thanks so much for geting this information to me
I was geting a litle woried becouse I got a german sheperd dog from a lady a monh a go and the dog was only six pounds at 3 months I found out that the dog was not a real german shepherd so I gave him to my cousin she dirent care that it was mixt, then I went and got another german shepherd pup this time I saw the perents and he is regesterd with akc but he lookt to small to me and that is why I askt this question
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
The true growth phase is between 4-6 months...this is when you can tell size and normal growth patterns.

Dr.V

Erik - I understand where you're coming from!  Too bad about the first sheperd - not that it doesn't mean it will be a great dog but unfortunately there are "breeders" out there that aren't always the most honest!

Best of luck with the pup.  If there is anything you need in the future - don't forget about me!  Wink