ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

senior dog pregnancy

Customer Question

Please don't yell at me for this! My 11 yr old dog is pregnant.First we weren't sure she was ,but now we know and she is due this weekend.I haven't even called my vet ,because she would probably yell at me for this.I have 3 female dogs.I intended to breed my male and female yorkie.I intended to fix my 11 yr old and 8 yr old dogs.My 8 yr old dog fell off the bed and broke her hip,and I am down about $3000 dollars.Fixing them would wait!So when my dogs went into their heat we tried to seperate the male from them.He also wore a belly band to prevent him from getting them.Well one time it happened.My husband let my male dog out seperately ,and when he let him in he ran upstairs without his band off.By the time my husband got to the top of the stairs it was too late.They were stuck.(for 45 min) My 11 yr old dog is healthy,not over or under weight.We have supplimented her feedings with puppy food ,hard and soft,several small meals a day.We didn't realize she was even pregnant until 2 weeks ago.(they mated Jan 24th)She has been in false before and we were hoping this was false.Now we know she is ,and she is due Monday!What do I watch out for?What extra can happen because of her age?Also for your information.Both of my older dogs will be fixed this yr,and this won't happen again.I will not have puppies aborted,but I am worried about my dog now.I do have an emergency vet 5 minutes from my house,but how will I know if it is an emergency?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
You need to take her into your vet and have an exam to see how big the
pups are and her general health. Then your vet can tell you if she
should have any complications. If she's been examined
recently...(within the past 6 months) and had bloodwork then I would
say just keep a close eye on her but if she hasn't then a prenatal vet
visit is best.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I do not plan on taking her to the vet unless it is an emergency.She had a complete work up and physical in Nov.SHe is up to date on all of her shots.I am not going to lie,but I owe my vet a lot and I would rather not go yet.My questions are what can go wrong?I don't think the puppies are very big,Daddy doggy is only 3 lbs(yorkie) ,mommy is 7 lbs(1/2 yorkie 1/2 pom)Can there be extra problems because of her old age?I have had puppies before and had to have a c-section on a dog,but what else can I watch out for???
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
Has she ever had a litter before this?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Actually yes,When she was 2 yrs old.She had 4 puppies.All are still living w/my family members.One of her pups is my other dog (the 8 yr old)There were no problems then.I sat with her and helped her deliver them all.One pup need constant massaging for a 1/2 hour after birth to keep her breathing.She has had a healthy life since.How odd is pregnancy in senior dogs?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
I would do the same ...look for signs of pushing but no pup
coming....placenta without a pup....sometimes they can go 3-4 hours
between pups but I wouldn't let her go any longer than that. Aside from
that, keep her in a quiet low traffic area so she doesn't get stressed
while she's in labor.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Well I wanted to update everyone.Maybe this will change someones mind from breeding little dogs ,or it will force people to fix their dogs before this happens.

My dog went into labor yesterday and the puppy didn't come out.She pushed and strained forever.We took her to the emergency clinic,and found out there was only one big puppy.My dog needed a c-section.We have to hand raise the puppy,because mom is not producing enough milk. She never dialated all of the way either.All this was because of her older age.In fact her having only one pup was probably because of her age to ,she didn't produce alot of eggs!Or she could've miscarried a couple,because around 2 weeks preggo she did have a bloody discharge.I just hope this helps one person,or dog!!