ElenaMarie
ElenaMarie,
15822

very sick dog

Customer Question

my dog is very sick been to 2 different vets, don’t know what is wrong. She lays around all the time, no balance slobbers and foams at the mouth all the time, can’t hardly chew her food, but her appetiate is fine. She is loosing some of her hair. Don’t know what else to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  ElenaMarie replied 11 years ago.

Did the vets say anything about her teeth? Did they say WHAT they thought was wrong with her?

Usually drooling and slobbering and hardly being able to chew her food, would signal a dental problem, or mouth lesions, or ulcers.

This sounds like a systemic type of disease that could be affecting her. How old is she?

Loss of balance and losing her fur, also seems to indicate a disease state of some kind, but did you have her bloodwork done while at either of the vets? You should ask for a copy of her bloodwork, if you had it done. Always do that. I had my cat's bloodwork done recently, got the results back, and the vet told me things that were wrong with my cat, and I asked for a copy of his bloodwork.

Come to find out, someone made a mistake and put down that my cat was a DOG, and so the blood results were all different in some areas, than if they were compared to a cat's values. Fortunately, I keep copies of their records, or we never would have discovered this big mistake. It made a difference in his prognosis, also.

Please post back on how old your dog is and what type of dog. Maybe I can give you some ideas, although I am not a vet, but one of the vets in the group here may also be able to help you.

God bless and good luck! 

ElenaMarie,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: my dog is 5 years old. The vets does not really know. Said there was nothing in her mouth that could be making her sick. Said blood work was okay.This seemed to all start right after she had puppies. She had her first set of puppies about 5 weeeks ago. She is a fiest. very active dog but not anymore she lays around. I don't know what else to do for her. One vet said maybe a stroke when she tried to have her puppies, because she had a hard time. And they said maybe seizures and put her on phenobarbital. please help if can

Is she still nursing her puppies? Is she still taking the phenobarbital? I will try to see if there is anyone else in the group here, that might be able to help or have a suggestion to make.

Will try to get on later, and let you know something. I am not a vet, but maybe one of the vets in the group here, might have an idea.

Does she go outside very much? Could she possibly have a tick or ticks anywhere imbedded in her fur that you have not seen? They can cause symptoms of diseases and maybe you could check her to make sure she has none on her.

Please let me know if you have any other information that might be of help in figuring out what could be causing her symptoms.

There is a good website for Mercks Veterinary Manual online, that you might want to look up, and see if you can find any information for the symptoms that a nursing dog, or one that has had puppies recently, might have problems with.

The site is:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Hope to get back to you later.

Thanks and God bless and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: No she does not nurse her puppies anymore. Like i said she isn't active at all anymore.She has not ticks on her at all.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 When was the last time she was nursing her puppies? What have you been feeding her while she was nursing?

Dr.V

What type of breed is your dog? How much does she weigh? Did she have the symptoms of not being able to balance before the vet put her on phenobarbital?

Is there anything in your house or out in your yard, that you might have changed? Any new carpeting or anything new as far as furniture or sprays, or any other changes outside, such as sprays for insects, etc.?

How many puppies did your dog have and are they still with you at home? Did your dog just stop nursing because she started getting sick?

Please answer as many questions as you can, because the more information you can supply, the more likely some kind of assessment might be possible on what could possibly be wrong with your dog.

Are you able to get food into your dog? Maybe you could get some prescription canned A/D food for your dog, if she is having trouble eating. That is what the vets usually prescribe for very sick dogs or cats.

God bless and hope to hear from you soon!