DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Dog very sick

Customer Question

My dog is very sick, she is puking and she will not go to the bathroom, she has a swollen disque in her back and I think that may have something to do with it...Please help me!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

For tonight, take away all dog food, treats and table scraps.  Feed a diet of boiled chicken and white rice or boiled hamburger and white rice.

You need to see the vet first thing tomorrow.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: okay well this has been going on for a few days now... we did go and see a vet, from what it sounds like she has what it seems like something wrong with the brain to the disque in the back to her butt, so when her brains tell her she has to goto the bathroom, she cant because of something.. i really dont know what to do, and my only option i think is to put her down but i dont want to.. PLEEEASE HELP
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I don't think that you will need to euthanize her.  Speak with your vet and see what he recommends.  Many disc problems can be fixed with surgery and therapy.

You have a lot of options here.  Now it's up to you to take them.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: To go deeper into the problem, there is a pinched nerve that will not work... any help?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
is there anything you can recommend off the top of your head? i mean she looks soo bad and i dont think shes going to make it
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Were you able to seek out a vet??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: yes, i was, i think she is better, it almost seems as if she is constipated, i took her for a REALLY long walk and she took a dump, but a not a big one, and her pee streams were not solid, any ideas?
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Did the vet feel it was back related? or where did they feel the problem was?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: yes, it was somewhat back related, they said it may have been something to the sort of a pinched nerve? i dont really know
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Well back pain will make a dog reluctant to poop because of the posture they get in to poop. I hope they have given your dog an anti-inflammatory to help with the discomfort.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: they did, but the pills seem to not be working, its almost like its Colic or something...
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

You can try using Maalox that helps with stomach cramping that can occur with the pills.

Use only 1 tsp every 4-6 hours if needed.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give this a try and get back to you