Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

chihuahua wont stop following my dog sniffing its behind

Customer Question

How do I stop my cousin’s chihuahua from bothering my border collie? He keeps following my dog around the house putting its head up my dog’s behind?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This is normal behavior.  It's their way of shaking hands.

The more that they are together, the less they will do it.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: They have been together for 1 and a half years. My dog will pace back and forth around the house apparently trying to get away from my cousins dog. When I take my dog outside, the chihuahua will cry endlessly and yelp. My vet told me about my cousins dog needing its anal glands cleaned out and this will stop the problem. However, my cousin refuses to do this to his dog. I was wondering if there was something I could spray on my dog which would keep the chihuahua away.
Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There's no spray, unfortunately, that I know of.  They seem to have bonded and it's normal behavior.  It won't hurt anything.  If the dog aggravates your dog too much, she will tell him in not so nice words to give it a rest.  This is probably much more upsetting to you than it is to her.

I don't see how the anal glands would help it but it's always a good practice for the health of the dog.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I would like to hear other responses about stopping my cousin's pet chihuahua from following my border collie around and sniffing and putting its head up my dog's behind. This action causes my dog to constantly walk around the house trying to find a place to relax but the chihuahua follows close behind whimpering and bothering my dog who is 15 and too old to keep on the chihuahua and get it to leave her alone.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Jamie,

Tammy's answer is correct. The chihuahua has bonded closely to your dog and as been compulsive over the sniffing issue. The only thing I can add that may help is if the chihuahua is given something for an underlying compulsive disorder.

Separation will help...but not if the chihuahua just cries and barks.

You may want to search for this product called Homeopet Anxiety (www.homeopet.com).  It is a natural product that I sell alot of with good results. We use it in dogs that board at our facility and pace all day, for cats that "freak out", for dogs with compulsive licking and pacing, dogs with storm phobias, and lots of dogs/cats in shelters.  It is not a drug...and you just place a few drops on a treat or food and it is tasteless.

You might want to give it a try and then separate the two dogs and hopefully the chihuahua will settle out alittle.

Good Luck,

Dr.V