DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Skin Disorder

Customer Question

MY 1 1/2 OLD Springer Spaniel has these bumps directly under her chin and on her muzzle by her nose. The hair under her chin is no longer there and no pus comes out of these bumps, just blood and they seem to be spreading. I was told it is possible acne and was given an antibiotic and told to use acne cream, which did not work. Could these be ingrown hairs? My shepherd had those, but they went away, The Springer’s seem to be spreading.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately the bacteria in "canine acne" can be deep within the hair follicles and pores and topical creams are not as effective. You should look at the lesions like teenage boy cystic acne in humans. It can be large swellings and painful.
I would strongly recommend calling your vet and asking for oral antibiotics(since your vet has seen the lesions, you shouldn't need an appt. just the meds)...your dog should be on them, my favorite is Cephalexin...for THREE WEEKS!!! Once the skin is looking great, then you can apply topical creams to lessen the skin bacteria, and use oral antibiotics if it gets real bad again. Hopefully she will mature out of the severe form.

Good Luck and let me know if you need further help.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: That is what she was on before for the antibiotic but it did not help and she was on for either 2 or 3 weeks.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Okay...on to the next thing...

Failure to respond to oral and topical antibiotics...did they give her cortizone or steroidal therapy? Fungal?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: no she was just given the antibiotic and i was told to put acne cream on the lesions. no cortizone or steroidal therapy or fungal.   why is there no pus coming out of these lesions? they only bleed and if she pops one it is just blood.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Okay, this is kind of hard to explain by typing...but I will try...and remember I haven't seen your dog, I am giving you my opinion from your description.

Canine acne is kind of a rush diagnosis and is not as well documented as feline acne...and in dermatology not so much like human med, but we try to use words that people understand ...and acne everyone gets. 

The true diagnosis (if I can say this on assumption) is acutally called Muzzle Folliculitis and Furunculosis (depending on how deep the inflammation is).  The initial lesions are hairless bumps of varying size and location and on histopathology look as there are thickened follicules and plugged areas, BUT no bacteria so usually nonresponsive to antibiotics.  Then they enlarge alittle more and can ulcerate with a clear/reddish discharge very little pus and this time if bacteria then enters...sometimes antibiotics can help improve at this stage.

Okay...next step many of the "unknown" causes they think excessive trauma to chin and muzzle like face rubbing, chewing on balls and such should be lessened.  The topicals can help but used in moderation. The recommendation on deep and difficult cases (which you can consider yourself if she is not responding and getting worse) is the use of Steroids to help lessen the inflammation (NOT INFECTION). The treatment I will use is a topical called SYNOTIC which has an antibioitic coupled with an anti-inflammatory, very strong. I will use steroids coupled with an oral antibiotic for about two weeks and the wean them off both. Then once the lesions are gone I have owners switch to creams both antibacterial and steroidal to prevent development.

HOPE THIS HELPS>

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you for your help, i will take her back to her veterinarian and get added medication for her.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I haven't gotten her to my vet yet, the bumps have not spread anymore at the moment and when she plays with my shepherd, the bumps will usually start bleeding, but very rarely any type of purulent discharge.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

The playing with the shepherd is one of those "trauma" things that can lead to follicular damage...it is up to you how, if at all you limit playing.  Remember the pus is more secondary with bacteria. The discharge now is typical.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: that could be, they do play hard together at times.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: this sounds more like the bumps on her muzzle and chin. and your remedy sounds like what would help to alleviate this condition, thank you
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Your welcome...good luck.

Dr.V