DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

dogs wet eye

one of my dog’s eyes gets a little bit wetter than the other when she runs around. is this normal? What is the liquid?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.
 Is it more than just tear formation? WHat is the age and breed of your dog?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: it isnt much more than a few tears. my dog is just about a year old and she is a mixed breed. We're pretty sure she's half chihuahua and half cairne terrier. It just happened again today when she went for a run in the park, it seems as she begins to "sweat" her left eye gets a little drippy and dappens the fur just under her eye.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.

A couple things come to mind. Your dog can have a blocked tear duct...which means instead of the eye draining normally thru a duct into the nose...it runs down the face. If the dog is active or there are irritants in the air, your eyes secret more fluid and that is probably why you see it  after running.

To have it diagnosed...a vet puts a light stain in the eye and then checks to see if any stain comes out the corresponding nostril.  Sometimes it is correctable, sometimes people just deal with it.

That is the most probable thing.

Let me know if you would like to discuss if further.

Dr.V