Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

yellow lab: 10 year old..past, flea allergies..antibiotics

Customer Question

Our 10 year old yellow lab has had skin problems in the past, flea allergies long ago, and bacterial infections as recently as last fall, treated with antibiotics. But beginning in late January, he developed a red, thickened area of his skin on the back of his neck, which made his hair there stick up (how we noticed it.) We gave him a short course of steroids, no effect. The condition kept progressing....and now he looks a little like a moth eaten dog, places all over his back and some on his sides, and down his tail, where the hair has come off or grown back in spotty or a darker color,and the skin is red underneath. He is now on a three week course of antibiotics. Could any of this be allergies? He has gotten an 81 mg aspirin tablet every day for about 9 months. Or what else could it be? He devleoped the first symptoms when he was taking no medicine but the aspirin.       
Category: Dog
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

What bloodwork, if any has been done on him?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
This actually does not help because:
1) he was tested for thyroid and it is within normal range
2) We are using Selsen Blue per vet recommendation
3) I read about food allergies and we gradually started new food, making sure it was truly new ingredients, did a 6 week trial, nothing changed.

This skin condition is completely different than anything he has ever had, the look of it and the pattern, location. He has no other symptoms, and he isn't scratching. Pretty strange.    
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

What is your dog on now other than aspirin?

Dr.V

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 years ago.
Can you tell me what particular blood tests were done for thyroid? Also can you tell me if any skin scrapes or tape tests were done for parasites? Also, which antibiotic and how long duration? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 years ago.
Since we are back to square one on this, could you also include current flea control and how long? Also, did the abnormal skin area start underneath a collar? Also, is he neutered? And did they do a fungal culture? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 years ago.
Am researching through my old dermatology notes. Was the initial onset during or right after a rainy period in Florida? When the initial red patch with fur standing up was found, was there crusting at skin level with or without pus underneath? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Mac is a 110 pound lab. He has had two plus weeks of cephalexin 500 mg - 2 tablets every 12 hours, we have 8 pills left to give him. During that time the motheaten spots continue to extend from his neck down his back and are not spotty on his side.   
    We have also for YEARS added 1/2 oz. per day of "Arthrydex" from Wallach's Petworld, mixed in food. It is vitamins, amino acids and enzymes, made from "USP grade beef gelatin, defatted liver, Brewer's yeast, and humic acid mineral blend." The product "contains no wheat, corn, soy, salt, sugar, dairy products, artifical colorings or flavorings, or perservatives."
    He eats Lifespan Super Premium dog food, and we buy him large beef bones at the supermarket which we simmer for 2-3 hours before he gets to chew them. They have a little bit of marrow and meat left on them. He gets those maybe 2-3 times a week.
    He lives in the country in north Florida, and he is inside and outside
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dr. Leonard: He is neutered, he has been on Advantage flea control monthly since the product came out, but I have taken him off it for a few months in the winter each year. When I first took him to the vet, he could not find fleas, but I guess it is possible that he had a flea or two on him during November -December when I took him off Advantage.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dr. Leonard: He is neutered, he has been on Advantage flea control monthly since the product came out, but I have taken him off it for a few months in the winter each year. When I first took him to the vet, he could not find fleas, but I guess it is possible that he had a flea or two on him during November -December when I took him off Advantage. He does not wear a collar. They did not do any fungal testing. It rains in Florida regularly, but there had been no particularly bad rain before the first outbreak on his neck. Where the fur was stnading up, the skin was pink and thinkened underneath, there was no pus and I saw no falking or granulation, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I see that my typing is failing me. I meant to say that the patches of hair missing and pink skin underneath are "now" down his sides in places as well, and all down his back and 1/2 his tail.   
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Dr. Jo is not currently on the site...I am sure she will check in today!

Dr.V