ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

poodles: I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you!! God Bless You!!

Hi, I recieved your answer re: my poodles diet, but you never mentioned about what do to for his pain on ulcerative colitis. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you!! God Bless You!!!! I already sent some money on the first question. Thankyou soooo much!!

I'm going to pass this one on tyo Dr. V our site vet because I honestly am not sure of what you can give for pain with ulcerative colitis...so I guess we'll both learn!

Dr. V?

Is your dog on any medication at all??

Dr.V

I gave Zoo some advice to help you out...she will answer. If you need further help, I will respond tomorrow.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you very much! I will look for the posting on my sick poodle. Jane [email protected]

Hello Jane,

Need to know first what meds your pup is on exactly.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hello, yes he is on carafate, and some kind of suspension, and baytril. He hasn't been able to take anything but the liquid suspension tho., as he is so sick to his stomach, along with the bloody diarrhea. This is 2 full days with no food, he is drinking some water. Bought him a vitamin supp. in a tube, but he refuses that too. Thanks for all your help, and I would like to send you some more money, just send me a bill. Thanks so much, you are really a blessing. Jane [email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks so much, baytril, carafate, and a liquid suspension, he can't take anything that will stay down except the liquid. Still not eating, over 2 full days now. Refuses everthing, even vit. supp. paste. Drinking some water. Thank you so much, God Bless! Jane [email protected]

Ok, what you really need is your pup
to be on steroids and that is for the pain of the colitis...that would
be Carafate or similar gi protectant. That maybe why he won't eat so I
would talk to your vet about possibly changing to a liquid gi
protectant if thats all she'll take..It's kind of a catch 22 she needs
the steriods for the pain but they can also cause the stomach to become
ulcerative if not taken with carafate so this would result in more
pain. Thats why the carafate is needed. She really should be on
steroids but also intestinal protectant.

You can request Torbugesic(analgesic) from your vet to help
with the discomfort until the pred works well enough but no Aspirin or NSAIDS while
on pred.

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Cannot thank you enough!! You have given a direction in which to go!! I thank God, and you, for this service!! Jane [email protected]

Well you can mainly thank Dr. V becuase it was her advise that I quoted
but at any rate, I hope your pup starts feeling better soon! Let us
know how she does!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Hi, you have been so very helpful, and you answer quickly, and more in detail than our vet. I just cannot thank you enough!! God Bless You!! Jane [email protected] Also a BIG thanks to Dr. V. :) :)