Lindsay
Lindsay, Breeder
Experience:  13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.
19772

dog erection problems

I have a 7 month old male teacup chihuahua. Lately he has been humping an old teddy bear. When he gets an erection it seems as if his testicles emerge out with his penis. He is unable to walk and it takes at least 10 minutes for the erection to go down. He looks as if he is in pain. Is this normal for the testicles to emerge?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lindsay replied 9 years ago.
That is actually the penis that comes out. Towards the end are
two glands called the bulbous glands which engorge. These are
not the testicles. The testicles are located between the legs and
do not really go anywhere. The bulbous glands will shrink back
to normal size after a few moments
This is all very normal, although some dogs are not sure how to
handle it (which may be why he appears to be in pain). If he is
excessivly mounting, I would recommend surgery.   At 7
months, he old enough to be neutered
Lindsay, Breeder
Experience: 13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 9 years ago.

Lindsay suggested great advice on the neutering recommendation. 

This type of behavior is common in dogs - I'd like to offer you a few tips on how to deal with the behavior.

Do not make a big deal when he does this.  The more attention you give to him, the more times he'll offer this behavior.  Just ignore him, walk away if you have to. 

You can also try to re-direct his behavior. If you can catch his attention right before, grab a favorite toy or treat that he REALLY likes.  Encourage him to play or take a few treats from you.

If he only humps the teddy bear, I would put the old bear away for some time.  After he's neutered or after a month or so, bring ol' teddy back out and see if his "habit" has stopped.

It's not the most attractive behavior to see our dogs display but it is natural.  If you would like any other information we are more than happy to continue helping you!