DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

can dogs take augmentin

Customer Question

I've worked for vets for 15yrs. so i kinda know what i'm doing but i just moved and i'm not working for a vet yet. Anyway, my 50 pound boxer got into a dog fight on moday, i've been cleaning the wound w/ dilluted nolvasan since, and yesterday it started to swell , i've starting really irrigating it and getting lots of drainage. It's definately infected now and he needs to be on antibiotics, all i have is 500mg. Augmentin, and i'm not sure i can give that, when working i know the vet would've prescribed 500mg cephalexin 2xday for 10 days. He's not running fever and is eating and drinking norm. so , can i treat w/ Augmentin?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Some vets prescribe augmentin for infections but you would have to check with your vet for a dosage.

If the wound is oozing/draining, it sounds like you need vet intervention anyway.  The wound may need to be flushed and you may need more care than you can provide at home.

Good luck!

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Augmentin is Clavamox...you should be familiar with that in vet medicine. 500mg is on the higher end of the dose but you can use it for a 50lb dog.  Use 1 tablets every 12 hours for 7-10days...hopefully you kind get to a vet if needed. Make sure you give medication with food.

Dr.V