How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Diane Your Own Question
Dr. Diane
Dr. Diane, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 234
Experience:  20 years experience in small animal medicine, surgery and emergency medicine
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Diane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what to do when a dog eats rat poison ot 7 dust

Customer Question

i think my dog ate 7 dust or rat poison
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lindsay replied 11 years ago.
Induce vomiting by using a teaspoon of hydrogene Peroxide and
get to the vet right away. Rat Poison is just that, poison, and it
can kill your dog. Call the vet NOW!
Expert:  Dr. Diane replied 11 years ago.
7 dust is carbaryl, which can cause toxicity if ingested, but the signs are much different from rat poison. If it was rat poison, when did he ingest it, and what kind was it? Also, does he have any symptoms now?

If he just ingested rat poison within the last couple hours, you should induce vomiting and then follow up with your vet. Rat poisons cause internal bleeding a few days after the posion is ingested, and this is usually fatal if untreated. If caught early, however, it can be treated very easily with a special form of Vit. K (not over-the-counter). Call your vet for this.

Related Dog Questions