DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

MY YORKIE TIGGER

Customer Question

MY DOG WAS DIAGNOSED WITH RENAL FAILURE. CAN U EXPLAIN THIS CONDITION? HIS BLOOD WAS PERFECT IN JUNE,THEY TREATED HIM FOR PINCHED NERVE WITH I.V. STEROIDS. HE WAS FINE FOR 2MONTHS. HE IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD.I BROUGHT HIM IN FOR SHAKING, VOMITING, BLOOD WORK IN SEPTEMBER REVEALS KIDNEY FAILURE. HE WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 3 DAYS ON FLUIDS.HE IS ON DOXYCYCLNE, NORVASC FOR BLOOD PRESSURE. I HAVE BEEN GIVING HIM 200CCOF FLUIDS A DAY UNDER THE SKIN. I SEE A BIG IMPROVEMENT HE SEEMS NORMAL. CAN THIS BE CURED IN TIME? I HAVE TO BRING HIM BACK AFTER 2 WEEKS OF HOMECARE UNDER THE SKIN FLUIDS. FOR A REPEAT RENAL PANEL.....CAN THE VALUES COME DOWN IN TIME?KIDNEYS LOOKED GREAT ON ULTRA SOUND AND X-RAYS. SHAKING IS GETTING LESS FREQUENT, HIS APPETITE IS SLIGHTLY IMPROVING. THEY THINK ITS EITHER LYME DISEASE OR LEPTOSPORISIS. HE HAD LYME VACCINE IN APRIL 2004. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY DOG CURED FOR 6 MONTHS.THEY SAY IT WAS A PINCHED NERVE, KNEE PAIN, NOW OUT OF NOWHERE THEY DIAGNOSE HIM WITH RENAL FAILURE.......I REFUSE TO PUT THIS DOG DOWN!!! HE IS MY LITTLE BOY!! ...HE HAS BEEN IMPROVING ..... BUT IS NOT 100% HE ALSO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AFTER 4 YEARS WITH VENTRAL DYSPLASIA HE HAS A DETACHED RETINA IN THE LEFT EYE, OPTAMOLOGIST FEELS HE WAS BORN WITH DISEASE AND LAST 6 MONTHS OF SYMPTOMS ARE UNRELATED, WHEREAS MY VET FEELS THAT MY DOGS HYPERTENSION COULD HAVE CAUSED KIDNEY FAILURE AND DETACHED RETINA.........I LOVE MY DOG MORE THAN ANYTHING I JUST WANT ANSWERS AND A SURE DIAGNOSIS........AFTER THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT OR LONG TERM PROGNOSOS........HE HAS BEEN AT THE VET REGULARY, IT SEEMS AS SOON AS HE TURNED 4 YEARS OLD ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE AND HIS HEALTH WENT DOWNHILL......HE WAS SPUNKY, FULL OF LIFE, AND STILL IS CONSIDERING ALL HIS HEALTH PROBLEMS. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK.....THANKYOU
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lindsay replied 11 years ago.
Renal disease is something that will effect him for his whole life.
It can not be cured, but it can be treated with certain foods (Hills
K/D), fluid therapy, etc. He can live a pretty normal life with
kidney disease, you just have to know what to watch for when he
goes downhill.
I only know a little about it, but I would maybe look into getting
a second opinion if you do not feel your vet is sure what is going
on.

Good luck!
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like your little guy has been thru alot and I am sorry for the stress.
Many times, especially little purebred dogs, have a pyramid of problems. It is hard to beleive that when things start happening that they are unrelated...but sometimes they are.
With Kidney failure the bloodwork/urinalysis/history are used to determine if the kidney disease is ACUTE or CHRONIC now there is no exact timeline to determine this, meaning it may be ACUTE to you because he was normal and than sick...but in actuality he could have been having failing kidneys for a month and only at the end did he show you signs.
I would need to know the results of the bloodwork/urinalysis or you can call them and ask if they think it is Chronic or Acute.
Acute Renal Failure can acutally hold a better prognosis. If you can get the animal and kidneys thru the intial "failure" and remove the source of infection or toxin the kidneys can begin functioning again. If it is chronic kidney failure many times you are just buying time.
The way I describe it to my clients, and no disrespect to your comprehension is the following;
Using the comparison to fruit. If you have an apple and it falls into the mud and is completely covered...to the eye it is ruined...but if you wash it good, it should be edible if you get it in time. ACUTE kidney failure!
If the apple falls and spends a couple days in the mud it is rotten on the inside to and you can wash it, and cut away the bad parts(treat with medications) but it is still not going to be a good apple. CHRONIC kidney failure!
The blood pressure issues definately would support chronic failure, Lepto is usually associated with Acute.
In any case, I hope this explains something. The IV fluids/SQ fluids is are attempt to wash the apple!
THe bloodwork will show how well.
Please respond if there is something more you are confused about.
Dr.V
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience: Dog Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to lcbryson's Post: thank you for ur information.......