ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Dog is suddenly weak in legs....after being normal in morning

Customer Question

Dog is weak in legs all of a sudden and is drooling....which is not normal for him. He is 11 year old Shepard mix,125lbs. Any ideas? He is eating, drinking but having trouble walking and in pain.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lindsay replied 12 years ago.
Due to his age, I would suggest having the vet take a look at
him. He could have arthritis, sprained something or the start of
some hip or leg problems. Because he is so big, arthritis and
hip problems are what I think is most likely what he is suffering
from.
As far as the drooling goes, somtimes when a dog is in pain or
stressed, they will drool. If you can not take him to the vet, try
to keep him calm and semi immobile. If he has sprained
something, giving him a period of rest will help. If it does not
get better, then you really need to have a vet look. They can
prescribe some pain killers that will help him.

Good luck!
Expert:  Critter doctor replied 12 years ago.

Three things come to mind: first, mostly due to his age, I would consider a stroke (thromboembolism), this can cause semi-paralysis (for example hind leg paralysis). My second guess would be poisoning. Think about possible toxic substances that he may have gotten into. The third: Lyme disease, do you know if Lyme disease is present in your area, and if so, have you seen ticks on your dog?

Whatever the case may be, it is advisable for him to see a vet as soon as possible, as he is a senior animal.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected lcbryson's Post. Reason Given: I already knew that.....thanks
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected lcbryson's Post. Reason Given: I already knew that........
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 12 years ago.

There are a few things that it could be with his age but vestibular disease or a stroke are the things I would sway towards. Usually with either you can see improvement and sometimes they can go back to normal. They usually plateau with improvement at about 2 weeks. My dog had the vestibular disease at age 12 and she wasn't able to walk for a few days. We had to assist/support her when she went to the bathroom but with in about 2 weeks and a couple doses of steroids from the vet, she was almost completely recovered aside from a slight head tilt and lived til she was 18. I'd advise taking him into the vet to make sure all his blood values are ok just in case though.

Good Luck!