ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Dog eating Goose Feces

Customer Question

I have a Lhasa Apso who has been experiencing pain which may be abdominal.
My dog recently ate goose feces. Can that make her sick? Last year around this time, the same symptoms occured. I brought her to a vet and they never found out what was wrong. Last year I did not relate the possibility of ingesting goose feces to her illness. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Addition Information
=Age of Dog: 7 yrs
=Wt: 22lbs
=pain persisted for 6 days
=Differculty in determining where pain is coming from.
=?? Dx: Hip Dysplasia
=Pain could be coming from hip
=pain when walking, jumping up or down
=no loss of appetite first 5 days
= loss of appetite on 6th day
loose stools day before pain started and again on the 6th day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 10 years ago.

If everything else is the same aside frrom what she recently ate then it may be the goose feces . Anything that you pet is not use to eating can cause gastric upset so its possible. I would just make sure she doesn't eat anymore and it should pass...no pun intended. If she continues to have pain after a couple days, goes off her food or starts to vomit or have diarrhea then a vet visit is in order.

Good Luck!

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thanks for the response. I would like to get a second opinion.
Expert:  ElenaMarie replied 10 years ago.
Hi There,
The following website tells about what goose feces might contain, and I think that is probably what is causing pain in your dog, and making her sick. They can carry E.Coli, and that alone is enough to make your dog ill.

http://www.r7.fws.gov/mbm/ancgeese/faq.html

The following is from that website:

Goose droppings, like any other feces, will increase nutrient levels by adding nitrogen and phosphorus into streams and lakes when added in large amounts. This nutrient enrichment, called "eutrophication", decreases water quality and causes algal blooms. Excessive algal growth uses oxygen in the water column and can cause fish kills.
Goose droppings can increase fecal coliform bacteria levels in waterways. Fecal coliform levels are indicators of various kinds of bacteria, and in themselves do not indicate whether particular toxic bacteria are present. Researchers have isolated both a toxic form of Escherichia coli and the toxic Clostridium botulinum from waterfowl. No agencies or academic institutions have undertaken studies on the kinds of bacteria present in Anchorage goose feces.
Several Anchorage area lakes have bacteria levels which exceed state primary contact recreation standards for swimming at certain times during summer. The relative proportion of coliform bacteria contributed by geese compared to other sources, including dog and cat feces, is unknown, but is probably growing.
High concentrations of goose fecal matter are linked to the incidence of swimmer’s itch, and goose feces can contain other parasites which affect humans (e.g. Chlamydia psittaci, Cryptosporidium parvum, Campylobactor jejuni). High densities of geese also increase transmission of parasites among geese (especially goslings) and to other wildlife.

I think this tells you that there can be quite a bit of bacteria in a goose feces, and I would try to keep your dog from eating them if possible. I would ask the vet if you can give your dog any medication to help with the stomach pain. I give my cat, Pepcid A/C to help with digestion, and maybe that would help your dog. Or he may need an antibiotic to help get rid of the pain which may be caused by a possible infection.

Take care and good luck!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Rejected ElenaMarie55's Post. Reason Given: We already know by the numerous articles that goose feces can be dangeous to humans. Dogs can tolerate pathogens that humans can not. That is why dogs can eat raw meat and not get sick.
Also, dogs are known to eat their own and other dogs feces and not get sick.
Expert:  emmamagpie replied 10 years ago.

The result from ZooCVT seems to be common sense.  If your dog has not eaten anything else then it probably is the feces, but I have to say, the response from Elena seems very informative.  On some websites you will find information on how goose feces may be hazardous to humans as well as other animals.  Dogs can have very sensitive stomachs, especially the smaller breeds.  The gastric system can be easily upset when a dog eats any other substance than their usual diet.  I agree with ZooCVT, that if the upset continues, a definate visit to the vet is mandatory.

Expert:  ZooCVT replied 10 years ago.

You also might consider the possibility of hip or back problems...I would be leaning to back though because they can come and go...i.e.. pinched nerve..disc. It would explain the intermitent pain and the soft stools. When animals have a back injury, sometimes they will seem tense in the abdomen and because of this pain it affects their stools and sometimes they strain to urinate. If you've ever experienced a back injury, you can definately empthize...I know I can! It can progressively increase if the activity remains the same so if you notice this again, try confining her so she can't jump up and down off furniture or use stairs and leash walk her to potty. do this for about a week then slowly start to reintroduce things but I would try and prevent her from doing any jumping if possible. You can also give her a baby aspirin 1-2x daily on a full stomach only and no longer than a couple days. Should you notice any black tarry stools or vomiting you should discontinue the aspirin...remember..baby aspirin ONLY no Tylenol!.

The goose stool may have just been a coincidence...

Good Luck!