Lindsay, Breeder
Experience:  13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.

How many times per day, on the average, is a dog supposed to urinate/defecate? When are they most likely to do so? What circumstances/situations might affect the frequency, including medical/physical/environmental/psychological factors?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ElenaMarie replied 12 years ago.
Hi There,

On the average, a dog normally has a bowel movement once a day. With urinating, it depends a lot of time on how much they are drinking water, how hot an environment they are in, as that may make them not have to go as much, but the dogs we have had, normally urinate several times a day, maybe three or so times.

If the dog is nervous, or a nervous type of dog, they may go a lot more than that. Like I said, heat could play a part if they are hot and sweating, and by panting, they cool themselves off, but also, they do not seem to have to urinate as much. This is from my experience. I am not a vet, but after being around dogs, large and small, this seems to be the pattern.

There is a good site, if you should be raising or trying to train puppies on elimation habits:

If a dog is sick, or has cystitis (bladder infection), they will usually have to urinate much more. Also, if they have a virus, they may have loose stools, and need to go often. A new move to a different home, may change their elimation habits. Dogs, like cats, usually seem to be affected by differences in their surroundings and by different people visiting or taking over their ownership.

Take care and good luck!
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected ElenaMarie55's Post. Reason Given: Needs more info about medical/physiological factors.
Hi Again,

The following is a good website that has a LOT of information on dogs' elimination habits. You did not ask specifically for certain medical conditions or physiological factors, as there can be very, very many that can affect a dog's elimation habits, or why a dog may have problems. This website is alphabetical, and you may be able to look up what you are specifically interested in, as there is not enough room here, to really list the numerous factors you are asking about. You would have to be much more specific in your question, and list what the symptoms of what your dog(s) are having that would make it easier to give a better and more explanatory answer.

The website is:

Take care! Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
I have relisted the question, hopefully with more specifics.
Expert:  Lindsay replied 12 years ago.
Physical/Psychological factors:
Many things depend on the dog. If the dog is more dominant, they will
urinate more frequantly (marking their territory). Males are known to do
this more, but dominant females can mark just as much as males. Some
dogs will even deficate to mark territory. A submissive dog will urinate
when frightened. Adult dogs can hold their bladder and bowels longer
than a puppy. On average, a puppy can only hold their urine for 3-6
hours, depending on age.
As a general rule, dogs will go to the bathroom when they first wake up.
They will also go an hour or two after eating.
My personal dogs deficate 2 times a day on average. Sometimes more,
sometimes less. Urinating is hard to tell, as I have intact dogs and have
more instinct to mark.
Size also plays a big role, due to the size of the bladder. A larger dog can
hold it much longer than a smaller dog.
Enviormental factors:
A new area will often make a dog urinate more. Excitment (such as
meeting a new dog, going to a park, seeing new people) may increase
this. A female is heat will make a male dog urinate more (part of the
wooing process)
A sick dog (stomach bug, UTI, etc.) will also deficate or urinate more.
Older dogs will often become incontinant, increasing the bathroom
I hope this answers your questions. I am not a vet, but this is from
experience and years of behavioral training.
Lindsay, Breeder
Experience: 13 years in the dog industry, through rescue, veterinary work , breeding and showing dogs.