ElenaMarie
ElenaMarie,
15822

My dogs foot is swollen

I was carrying my dog and both of us fell.. I dropped her out of my arms. She is now not walking on her right front foot. It is swollen. What should I do besides taking her to the vet?
Hi There,

If the fall occurred recently, I would think you may put some ice, or something cold on her foot, if she will allow you to, to try to minimize swelling. It may be broken, or just sprained, but always it is best to use cold at first, to try to reduce swelling.

If she keeps limping, or cannot put weight on her right foot, I think you definitely should take her to the vet's.

Take care, and good luck!
Hi There,

Yes, you could give some aspirin to your dog, and the following is a website that tells about the uses of aspirin for dogs, plus I cut and pasted part of what the website recommends in aspirin dosage and use in dogs:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm

Recommended dosage
Most veterinarians recommend between 5 mg and 10 mg per pound of the dog's weight every 12 hours. Going on the safe side, a recommended dosage of aspirin of about 5 mg/lb seems to work well for most dogs. If you are going to give more, it is a good idea to check with your vet. Also, note that a small dog should take less per pound.

Enteric coated aspirin is not recommended in dogs because about half the time the coating isn't digested and the aspirin is excreted whole in the stool.

Start small
It is better to start off small and work your way up to the maximum. If the dog has relief with a smaller dosage, that is great.

A standard aspirin is 320 mg. A baby aspirin is typically 80 mg. That means that 5 mg/lb works out to be one baby aspirin per 16 pounds of body weight twice a day.

Chart
The following chart can be used as a guide. Note that this is not medical advice.

Weight of dog in pounds Number of tablets each 12 hours mg
8 1/2 baby aspirin or less 40 mg
16 1 baby aspirin 80 mg
32 1/2 adult or 2 baby 160 mg
48 3/4 adult or 3 baby 240 mg
64 1 adult or 4 baby 320 mg
80 1 1/4 adult or 5 baby 400 mg
96 1 1/2 adult or 6 baby 480 mg

In conclusion
The proper dosage of aspiring can give your dog relief from pain and inflammation. You should be aware of possible problems and know the proper dosage. It is good to check with a vet before giving any medication, and remember that dogs are not humans and don't need an aspirin for minor pains.

Hope your dog is okay! Good luck!