DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert

My dog has a hard time standing and walking on hardwood floors.

Customer Question

My dog slips on the hardwood floors in my house. Sometimes she
can't even get a grip to stand up. It's gotten harder for her as she is
getting older. She is now 11 and I don't want her to have such a hard
time. She does not have hip displasia or arthrites yet but her hips
and back legs have just become weaker as she's getting older. She is
on glucosomine chondrotin supplement ( i apologize if the spelling
is wrong). Besides the obvious and putting carpet down, what can I
do to help her. Is there sock's with grips I can put on her back legs?
I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.
At the age of 11 she does have arthritis if she is over 20 lbs. It is just part of the aging process and should be addressed. I am certain if you try a NSAID with her glucosamine, (Rimadyl, Metacam, Deramaxx) you will be amazed at her response...she will feel better. I have many clients with older animals and they have to adapt a part of their house for their aging animal. It is not cruel to have an area in the house that this dog can move on without risk of slipping...even if it limits this dog to a single room. It actually is more humane, she knows she can slip and can have an acute fear of walking in the house that can manifest with snapping or growling or other behavioral manifestations.
There are booties people put on dogs, esp. for snow conditions that have gripping may need to do a search online for those.
I do recommend you speak with your vet and start a medication, I am sure they would agree if would be beneficial...even if you just do a 2 week trial to convince yourself. Then talk it over with your family to find an area in the house that you can make safe for your aging family member.