PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My daughters cat seems to be having difficulty peeing. We

Customer Question

My daughters cat seems to be having difficulty peeing. We have also found pee and poop outside of the litter box, which uncharacteristic of the cat and both have small amounts of blood in them. We have three cats but only my daughters is behaving differently
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: The cats name is ***** ***** is about 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Protest?
Customer: No, he is an indoor cat that shares a home with two other cats and two dogs. He is also fixed
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he frequenting the box today?

Has he definitely passed a reasonable amount of urine in the last 12 hours?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I cannot tell how much he has actually passed as I have two other cats and they all use the same litter boxes. When my daughter cleaned the box today though she still found blood
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 days ago.

If blood is present, it's time for an examination and urinalysis. The cat who is urinating blood likely has a UTI. If he's struggling to pee, as well, we should be concerned about the risk of him becoming blocked (completely unable to urinate) which is a medical emergency. More info here: https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd If this is just a UTI, your vet will more than likely prescribe a course of antibiotics and may also recommend a change in food, depending on what is found on the urinalysis.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 days ago.

Checking in. How is Protest doing?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy