Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I was told that my cat has an eye problem where bacteria are

Customer Question

I was told that my cat has an eye problem where bacteria are attacking his retna. He looked like he had catacacts that developed just withing a cuple months, and they tried three dirrerent medications on him. Finally we were on a combination of Tacrolimus and Cyclosporin, which seems to be helping him. Two questions: 1, where can I purccase these eye solutions for him? (I was told at a clinic that he might always need some sort of maintenance dosage.) And 2 are there any effects from long range use?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: My CAT. Not me.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He's been getting the medications twice a day for about two months now. He's a healthy semi-feral cal. He allows me to put the drops in his eyes but he occasionally isn't here to ger his dosages.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr Denney. I am sorry to hear your cat is going through this. You should be able to ask for a script from your veterinarian to take to a human pharmacy or you can get a script from your vet and go through 1800pet meds. Both medications are antibiotics with anti inflammatory effects and most do not have long term effects as they are eye medications. They may lose effectiveness over time is something I would recommend watching out for. I hope this answers your questions.