Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has crusty scanned looking eat and parts of it are

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my cat has crusty scanned looking eat and parts of it are coming off?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: rally she's 6 months
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: rally
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about rally?
Customer: it was bloody a last week like she scratched it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Rally is having this problem with her ear.

It was a little difficult to understand what you wrote, at first, but it sounds like the edge of the top (or sides) of her ear are scabby and the skin is falling off?

You also said it was bloody last week and it looked as if she scratched it.

Am I understanding correctly?

Also, does she stay indoors only, or does she go outside and is she on any type of monthly flea treatment? If so, what's the name of it?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, it might take me a little while to get back to you, so your patience is appreciated!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry for the typos I didn't realize there was so many. yes she is indoor cat only. she is not on any flea treatment, we put Neosporin on it when it was freshly scratched. I will attach a photo. Will the cartridge grow back?
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

No problem re: the typos! : )

I'm glad she's an indoor cat only; much safer for her.

Thank you for sending the pics. It's a little hard to see clearly.

Do you mean, 'will the cartilage grow back?'

Typically, this type of condition is caused by external parasites like fleas/mites and even though she is indoor only, humans can bring these inside, on their shoes and clothing. Scratching a lot, can cause these scabs, she could have a fungal skin infection called ringworm, or she could have a certain type of mange mite that can cause itchiness and loss of hair in the area, like ringworm.

At this time, it would be advisable for her to be evaluated in person by a vet, so you can get a definite diagnosis and she can be treated for the condition found. It's always possible that the cartilage could grow back, but, it's also possible that she could have a 'tattered-looking' ear for the rest of her life.

I hope you're able to get her seen by a vet as soon as possible, so this area doesn't become infected; if it is infected now, or to prevent infection, the vet might prescribe antibiotics, if it is found to be a bacterial infection, but it could also be a viral or fungal infection.

For now, you can continue to apply a thin film of plain Neosporin (without the 'pain' component) to the area with a Q-tip, so you don't touch it with your hands. It is not harmful if she licks it.

I hope all will be well with your Rally!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively, from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I will receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. There is no additional cost to rate. Bonuses are always welcomed. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation. Should you need me for any follow-up, clarification or additional information, simply click 'Reply to Expert' at no additional charge.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Cher