Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

15 yr old cat. feeding diet between taste of the wild cat

Customer Question

15 yr old cat. feeding diet between taste of the wild cat food and albacore tuna which he may stop eating if I do not give him. I started giving him tuna fish because he was not eating the dry food.Urine developing distinct odor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: trouble and he has always been that way
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: very skinny you can feel his bones fast metabolism because he eats more than much larger cat I'm afraid if I do not feed him frequently he will have a problem
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is your question if it is okay to give him tuna with his taste of the wild food? Has he had any blood work done recently? Just asking because metabolic issues like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, and diabetes can all cause a thin cat.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No blood work. At his age and temperment(does not want to be touched). will not even let me comb him he bit mail. trying to keep him alive and stress free.. is it alright to feed him tuna fish going thru 4 large cans per wk but only because he will not eat that much dry food and I am desperate to make sure he eats because he is so skinny.

Yes, as long as he eats a little dry food each day you can feed him mainly tuna. The tuna is deficient in a nutrient called "taurine." So as long as he eats a little dry food each day then he will get some taurine and other vitamins and minerals.

Will he eat canned food like "fancy feast ocean white fish?" I have good luck with that one.

Or maybe you could mix a spoonful of tuna flavored canned cat food in with his tuna so he gets mineral and vitamins.