Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He has a slimey substance coming from his mouth, sneezing,

Customer Question

He has a slimey substance coming from his mouth, sneezing, and discharge from his eyes. He is drinking but not really eating. Ive tried a steamy bathroom and that seemed to help loosen some mucus up, but he is still wheezing a bit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Boots and he will be a year old in march
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?
Customer: Hes not fixed and im unsure if he has all of his shots or not. I got him from a facebook page
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Bless you for saving Boots.

He may have a cold or allergic reaction.

You can give him an antihistamine:

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic. Warm the baby food to bring out the aroma

https://www.chlor-trimeton.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri