Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cat had a feeding tube placed yesterday and seems to be

Customer Question

My cat had a feeding tube placed yesterday and seems to be in agony. He has diarrhea and is regurgitating food and belching. I'm worried about him. He seems to be in a lot of pain. What is going wrong??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this.

Feeding tubes are typically well tolerated in cats. If he is distressed and gagging, then I would worry that it may have looped around and is coming back up the esophagus into the back of the throat. I would go to a 24 hour clinic if you can or back to your vet when they open. They can do an x-ray to see where the placement is. If it needs to be replaced, that can be done at the same time.

Once placed correctly, most cats have little to no issues with these tubes. It's a great way to get calories and fluids into cats that are not eating well or that have a chronic disease that takes time to resolve.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's not normal, but it can be resolved and still be able to use the tube.