Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I just got my cat and she's not eating she is dranking

Customer Question

I just got my cat and she's not eating she is dranking water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bonnie and the shelter said she is two years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: Nope she's been great since we've gotten her on Monday loving and kuddlie. I've given her the dry science cat food but she didn't show any interest then I wet the food and nothing
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Bonnie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Bonnie, and we have to consider everything from her being off food due to stress, to her having an underlying GI issue or intestinal worms, or her simply not liking her current diet! You are definitely going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on Bonnie, and hopefully you can convince her to eat something in the next day or so. For a start, try her with some freshly cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast or fish to see if that convinces her. If so - you can try slowly adding small amounts of the dry diet or wet food to these to see if this helps to convince her. If she vomits, or seems lethargic in the meantime, then you really need to follow up with your local vet tomorrow if you can. Hopefully she is up to date with her vaccinations and worming treatments as well, and if not, you will need to get on to that tomorrow as well.

Hopefully she is otherwise fine now, but to be sure please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If she still won't touch any food tomorrow, you will need to get her seen by your local vet or with the local shelter again. In the meantime, do try a range of other foods to see if you can tempt her. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully those mucus membranes and refill time are all normal? Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Bonnie.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Bonnie overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E