Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My small 3 year old cat was fine this morning. I came home

Customer Question

My small 3 year old cat was fine this morning. I came home from work this afternoon and she wasn't to be found. She never misses a meal. I found her under the bed along with 2 small pools of vomit in the house. One fairly solid and the other one just liquid. She just came out of hiding and vomited one more time and this was a very small amount of fo***** *****quid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. She was give her normal meal this morning, and there were no foods out that she could have gotten into.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Polly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Polly?
Customer: She is up to date on all her shots and has had no medical issues beyond the occasional hair ball.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Polly who has been hiding under your bed after vomiting earlier today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Polly today to cause her to go off her food and vomit like this, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given her history of hair balls, this could simply be due to a hairball stuck in her stomach she is trying to get up, but we have to consider all possibilities here. Whatever the case, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Polly, and if this vomiting continues this afternoon, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet, or even ER vet tonight potentially.

For now, make sure Polly has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local vet where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Polly's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the afternoon, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Polly and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Hopefully Polly's parameters were all ok? Did you continue to monitor her, or did you get her to your local ER vet?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Polly overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E