nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Stray hit by car head injury, stray,,, looks, not fully

Customer Question

stray hit by car head injury
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: stray,,, looks young, not fully grown. has no visible injuries but was bleeding from an ear when found. is very limp I have been giving it sugar water and mixing kitty formula and giving it to her thru a syringe, she has not peed. she is not visibly in pain
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about stray?
Customer: she stopped bleeding after 20min
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very concerned to hear about this poor stray.

If it did suffer a head trauma, then we'd be worried that its limpness isn't due to a low blood sugar but instead increased pressure on the brain. This can be from swelling or a bleed. As well, if she cannot pass urine (a life threatening issue itself), it could mean that she has ruptured her bladder during the car accident.

So, in this case, if you want to give her a chance, we'd need to consider turning her over (or taking her in if you are keen to keep her) to the local ER vet. They have a duty of care to provide her with first aid or at least ease her suffering (something we'd need if she has ruptured a bladder; which usually needs surgery to cure and carries a guarded prognosis) and at least if she can be treated for her brain swelling and any bleeding we may see her regain more consciousness here. To get her help, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )