nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

My 17 year old cat won't stop meowing. I thought it was just

Customer Question

my 17 year old cat won't stop meowing. I thought it was just because I came back from an 8 day trip but I noticed last night she can't seem to pass a stool although she has been trying. Now she won't eat or drink. She has been on a soft food diet for years,canned cat food ,and baby food. She does have Hyperthyroidism and is being treated transdermally with medicine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kitty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kitty?
Customer: Mild kidney disease controlled with diet and back end issues so she kinda walks sideways.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No But have caught her trying to strain on my bed twice
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is she only meowing when straining to pass stool?

Can you confirm she can pass urine?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she is meowing just in general a lot not when trying to pass a stool and she is passing urine. No vomiting.
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care. Vocalizing in older cats can be a sign of blood pressure elevation and something we can see secondary to kidney and thyroid issues. That said, we can also see vocalizing in cats that have had a recent change in their routine (your being away being one possible cause) or those with dementia. And of course, she could have increased vocalization if this is making her very uncomfortable.

So with the above in our mind should the crying continue after we address her constipation, we'd want to first see if we can ease her passing stool. To start, you can offer some cow's milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction. Another option that can help here would be cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Or if she is straining a lot, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. All should be available OTC at the pharmacy or from your vets. Ideally, instead of offering it direct, do consider adding it to a food she likes.

Finally, you can consider mixing some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into his food daily. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into Kitty (as canned food is 35% water). And alongside this, promoting her to drink well is also advisable (since constipation can be due to dehydration).

Overall, her vocalizing can be due to a range of issues. Though our first step here is to see if we can get things moving for Kitty. Though if you try the above but don't see feces within the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider getting your vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) and we could just also have them check her blood pressure and those other concerns at the same time to ensure we get her totally settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet