Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

She wont walk on her back right paw but when i touch i or

Customer Question

she wont walk on her back right paw but when i touch i or massage it she doesn't cry
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Megra and i think about 20
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Megra?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Does Megra have any history of illness or injury?
2) Is she holding the limb up? dragging it?
3) Is the foot warmer or cooler than the other paws?
4) Is she inside only?
5) When was bloodwork last performed on her? Do you have a copy to share?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no history of illness, holding it up, not warmer or cooler, inside only, and I'm no sure

Does she place the foot when moving forward but not place any weight on it? Or does she hold it up entirely away from the ground and function as a tripod?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
holds it up entirely

Typically with these types of injuries we are worried about something causing pain and the pet avoiding usage. This could potentially be an injury, a sticker in the foot, arthritis, etc. On more uncommon occasions, we can see organs-related concerns that be linked to the non-usage of a leg, such as the heart being abnormal and passing a clot to a rear leg. She doesn't necessarily need to be in obvious pain with any of these potential afflictions.

My advise to you would be scheduling an examination for her along with bloodwork and x-rays if they cannot find anything obviously wrong on palpation alone. At her age, she is more likely to be in need of medical assistance than, say, a young kitten who might have simply landed wrong during a jump. If she were my own cat, and near 20 years of age, I would schedule an appointment today for diagnostics and would not take the time to wait and see if it improves, knowing that the symptom observed could easily be an indication of something else being wrong with her body requiring treatment, as well.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800