Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Sorry if this is a bit but I felt I needed to explain the

Customer Question

Hi, sorry if this is a bit long but I felt I needed to explain the whole story, thank you for reading.
I have had some issues to my cat, that i am now finding they weren't real issues...I've had some trouble finding a good vet that I can talk to that is not trying to just get money and that actually cares about my cats health amd well been.
I did a lot of research and learned a lot about cats and their digestive tracks, nutrition and enzymes before adopting a kitten because I wanted to make sure that I was going to provide the best I could for the new member of the family.
We adopted a Siberian female and after learning about how sensitive they are to process food and unpurified water we decided that a raw meat diet was the best choice.
My problem is, I keep having to hear vets telling me that my kitten needs to be on a commercial diet because my "recipe" does not include vegetables or carbohydrates.
I took her into a new clinic today because she was having trouble defecating,( 1 every 2 days and sometimes longer). First thing the vet said is that i should put her on commercial dry food because I am not giving her vegetables and carbohydrates which are absolutely essential...and also I don't have vegetable source of vitamins.... I was patient at his misconception on uncooked meat vitamins but since he wasn't a nutritionist I let it pass with no issue.
Right before I was ready to leave and pay for my unnecessary 20min drive plus the $45 visit, he starting poking at my cats' back.
This is my first question, did he played a scheme on me?
Right before leaving and putting my cat in the carrier he said: "since she's not having any pain on her back (while poking really hard down her spine) we can be sure that......." (my cat moved as he poked on the second vertebra or so before the beginning of the tail). He kept poking at her on the same spot while she moved less and less until she stopped complaining about the poking. Then he went on saying that we needed an x-ray because she might have a dislocated vertebra that is making her hurt while defecating and that could be why she's having trouble.
He pushed us into $200 of x-rays. Which is okay I guess, he's a doctor and got money out of our fears that she might have a spine problem... The interesting part starts here when he goes to "show us" how her back was abnormal by comparing it to a book....
My cat's back look identical to the book, he got uncomfortable and moved on to saying that now, her knees were deformed and he needed to do more x-rays.... I grabbed my kitten from the table and took her home.
My few questions that I would really love to get an answer with:
1. Is there a spot in cats' backs that makes them jump if touched with lot of pressure? Could that jumping just be muscle tension from running on a stone tile that offers her no grip?
2. Was he just trying to get money out of this and can I come back with a good argument and get a refund?
3. Is my raw meat diet healthy for my cat? ( I make sure taurine is in good amounts, fatty acids, omegas, vitamin Bs, E, A...)
4. Will my cat be healthier if I just increase the amount of fiber in her diet? I came to the conclusion I just wasn't giving her enough bone/tendons/ligaments..
Thank you so much for your time! And really sorry for my frustration.
Marta
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Marta. I would love to be able to assist you with your girl. I have fed a raw diet to my purebred cats for over 10 years now and have had great luck with it. I think this discussion might be easier on the phone because of the detail, so I am offering a call to you. If you'd prefer to continue online, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I appreciate your reply, but I really need to know first if my vet played a scheme in me. I'm very disappointed about the way my cat was treated and how much money they got out of me.

In the time that I have been feeding raw the biggest concern for a cat's health has always been a deficiency in taurine, which leads to ocular and cardiac issues (and Siberians are predisposed to heart issues anyhow, so this is something to avoid taking lightly). I have not witnessed any major concern with spinal issues secondary to a complete raw diet (as cats have lived on this type of diet for thousands of years). I cannot think of a single reason a vet would be pushing x-rays and comparing a cat's spine to a book. That being said, this could be something he felt was a congenital issue, especially if he mentioned her knees.

As far as getting a refund, this would likely require a report to the veterinary board in your state who would take a look at the medical records, x-rays and vet's recommendation. Their finding would determine whether or not they felt your vet was in the wrong. Often small claims court is required to get a refund, sometimes following a board's ruling (which can be strong evidence if they agree with your side of the situation).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! could this reaction just be A twitch from the CTM to the poking on her back. He commented about her back issues TOO perfectly timed out with the twitching.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was so pushy about the x-rays, I truly believe he made it happened.

Enough poking and pressure on the spine could certainly be reason for a cat to twitch. If you are unsure, a second opinion by asking for the x-rays to be sent to a specialist might be in order. If there's something wrong with the bones in the spine itself it's likely to show up on x-ray (I only say this because of his reference to the spinal column in a book, which still stumps me).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He didn't give us the x-rays, he only showed them in the computer. And I am pretty good matching pictures and her spine is absolutly perfect, the he said that her kidneys seemed a bit off inpositio ( they are kidneys they're not put with bolts in the body an they move around a bit right? ) then when our faces where like are you kidding me he said he needed to make more x-rays of the knees because one of the hones was not perfectly round (I've had alot of xrays and that was just one of those hazy areas you sometimes get. It seem fine to me) he just kept picking at her body when she's absolutely healthy and not deformed. Oh also she said that my 9lb SIBERIAN KITTEN should be watched for her weight, that we don't want her to get over 10lb.....