Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He's been throwing up a little bit every other day this

Customer Question

he's been throwing up a little bit every other day this week. some hair but not much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I can tell. his appetite has seemed normal and I give him a couple of temptations daily.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jason and he's about 16. he was a stray that I took in May 2001.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jason?
Customer: I hadn't been seeing much poop in the box until this morning when he dropped a good one.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did Jason last have blood work performed?
2) Is he still eating and drinking well?
3) Are you taking any preventive measures for hairballs?
4) Is he on any meds at this time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's been about a year and a half since he was at the vet. He is eating and drinking water normally. I have been giving him temptations hairball control every other day per directions. He's not on any medication.

Was blood work performed at that time?

When he vomits are you seeing undigested food? hair? fluid mostly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Didn't do blood work at that time. I took him because he was coughing and sneezing a lot. The vet gave me some medicine that I think was an antibiotic for 3 days and it cleared right up. He's been fine since the. When he throws there in no food, a little hair but mostly brown fluid.

Because of his age, it would be wise to rule out underlying conditions like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. These all can cause cats to vomit.

More info here:

Kidney disease: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/kidneydisease.cfm

Diabetes: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_diabetes.cfm

Hyperthyroidism: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

It wouldn't hurt to add in some pure canned pumpkin to Jason's food, too, to help move fur through and see if this might be causing the irritation in the GI tract. You can also try laxatone from a petstore which will help to move fur through. Even if this turns out not to be the issue, it won't hurt to use with the treats you're giving and should not cause him any problems medically.