Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Aural Hematoma has re-occurred in cat after surgical removal

Customer Question

Aural Hematoma has re-occurred in cat after surgical removal and aspiration. Vet wants to do second surgery. Is there any other way to fix this? I hate to put my cat under a second time in 2 weeks.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 12 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Great. Thank you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am at work and cannot call. Sorry
Expert:  Terri replied 12 days ago.

Hi Jaqueline,

I am sorry Eggo gets repeating Hematomas. They are caused by violent head shaking or scratching.

n aural hematoma is a pool of blood that collects between the skin and the cartilage of a pet’s ear flap. It’s typically caused by overly aggressive ear scratching or head shaking that results from an ear infection. Dogs and cats can both suffer ear hematomas, though dogs (particularly those prone to skin allergies and ear infections) are more prone to them. Treatments range from draining the hematoma with a needle, to surgical correction of the problem.

These are mostly cosmetic meaning they do not harm the patient.

If you do nothing the body will absorb the fluid but the cat will be left wit a cauliflower ear.

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/ears/aural-hematoma-in-cats

It is best to find the source of the discomfort. If it is earmites either Ivermectin or monthly revolution will cure the problem.

There is no point in repeated surgeries because this will recur without a permanent solution.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Terri,Thanks for the help. We treated the ear infection that was found with the first hematoma. I don't really know if he really needs to have the hematoma closed again surgically. I just don't know what to do.
Expert:  Terri replied 12 days ago.

Dear *****,

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

If you are sure the underlying cause has been resolved so the hematoma will not recur and/or the at is in pain you can do the surgery.However, if he is not bothered by it and you do not mind the deformed appearance of the ear when it heals on its own, it is safe to leave it.

The decision depends on the cats comfort and your feelings about the cauliflower ear

If you decide on another surgery make absolutely sure the problem is resolved and will not recur.A needle aspiration is also an option

Perhaps another dose of antibiotics would be a good idea.

Please let me know what happens.