Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have our cat, Marvin, that we rescued as a feral cat...

Customer Question

We have our cat, Marvin, that we rescued as a feral cat... he had walked in scalding oil behind a Chinese fast food restaurant... he is 2 now... over the 2 years he has ruined ever rooms carpet, mattresses, 3 couches... We should have re-homed him, but 1 my daughter would have been really sad (she feels like he never had a chance to be loved) and 2 I pretty confided that no one else would put up with his behavior and at best turn him into the nearest kill shelter. He is skittish, but has moment of loving desire... but always loves on my daughter. He most frequently uses the box. (we have 4 cats, 3 boxes... and he loves loves 2 of the cats, the 3rd is old and grumpy and only loves us humans) Marvin will pee on a dog bed (he loves the dogs too) or the couch right in front of us... like its ok behavior... he is so skittish that we do not yell at him after he pees, because we are afraid he do it more... but we get all excited when we see him in the box areas... we do not notice more or less, if the litter is brand new, or not. If it is clean or not.. we use clumping, multi cat liter... please please help
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

Dear *****,

Bless you for saving Marvin?

Is he neutered?

Did he ever use a litter box?

Do any of the other cats bully him?

What does he eat?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you...
We got him when was only about 10 weeks out, he is 2 1/2 now..
Yes we got him neutered, all his shots are current etc... we have 2 times took him to the vet to run panels to make sure he did not have uti-s relating to his urinating all over.
He frequently does use the litter box ( and he goes both, in all 3 of the boxes ie he doesn't have a favorite box)
The other cats are super buddies together... our old grumpy cat only stays upstairs and stays away from all the animals
He eats dry food, adult cat from Costco, pretty much 2x a day... but a little bit on a free feed basis...
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I do not mind typing
Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

Dear *****,

Since Marvin HAS used a box and is skittish,I feel you are dealing with territorial marking .

This CAN be fixed but we must take drastic action. The pee has seeped into the upholstery stuffing and carpet padding. Hence every soiled item must be cleaned with an enzyme product or discarded. As long as his feline nose can smell urine he WILL keep going back there. I find the best, ***** ***** product to be zero odor.

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/

Once this is done spray the items with a citrus spray. Cats HATE the smell so they will not pee there.

Put a sheet of tin foil wherever you do not want him to step...he will avoid walking on it. Get him a feliway collar to calm him down.

http://www.amazon.com/GOODbehavior-Pheromone-Calming-Collar-Cat/dp/B0026JAKWG

Please let me know how things are going. Just reply here anytime

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you .. I have tried the cat away spray by miracle pet and also we totally bought new cushions, put ( not foil, but something like that) and he pee'd right on the that area ... makes me crazy...
I will try the collar and zero odor.... any litter or box suggestions???
Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

The miracle spray does NOT work.zero odor does.

make sure all boxes are uncovered so he does not feel trapped inside.

He will not pee on tin foil so try that

Cat attract litter may also help but you say he DOES use the boxes so now he must be kept from peeing on other things

This is a one time fee so even after you rate you can reply as many times as you wish at NO additional charge

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you ... I have saved you in favorites... I just went on line and purchased the zero odor for clothes and area... I'm going to petsmart to get the collar... and heck why not try the cat attract litter tooooo
Thank you very much... Ill let you know how it goes...
and... Ill leave you feedback... :)
Expert:  Terri replied 9 days ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help sch a wonderful person.

Keep me posted.....

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
awww thank you ... have a purrfect holiday season
Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.

How are things going?

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.