Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We've had our cat Sweetie 1 1/2 years. She was a stray. They

Customer Question

We've had our cat Sweetie 1 1/2 years. She was a stray. They think she's ~10 years old and has some nerve damage so expresses urine easily. She sometimes leaks a little but mostly uses litter box well. She has a history of UTIs every month or 2. She's now on Urinary SO and SO + calm food and a probiotic and hasn't had a UTI in about 4 months. Unfortunately she's peeing out of the box more and more. Sometimes in front of us. Sometimes it's like she's just too lazy to go to a box and plops her butt down and goes a little. It's gotten really bad and we don't know what to do. We don't want to put her on anxiety/calm Med's because of her neurological problems. She's such a sweet loving kitty and loves a good play session every day, window hunting, and kits of cuddles. No kids and no other pets. We have 3 litter boxes in the house. We don't think anything is stressing her but don't know what to do. Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just realized it may need me to reply... I'll wait for your reply.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 days ago.

Hi Julie,

I am sorry Sweetie has so much discomfort

I think she has Interstitial cystitis. That is a bladder infection with no bacteria seen upon exam.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

It is caused by a dry food diet.

www.catinfo.org

Give her 3 drops of cranberry juice every day for ten days to lower the PH of her urine.

Feed her canned food only.

Up her fluids to flush her bladder.

If she gets dehydrated give her tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She has been checked for inflammation so I don't think this is it. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 days ago.

Why don't you try cranberry juice and wet food and let me know if it helps.

No bacteria is seen on the slide with Interstitial cystitis