Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He is a kitten who is about 7 months old but has only gained

Customer Question

he is a kitten who is about 7 months old but has only gained about a pound in last 3 months. I feed him a 3 oz can of wet food per day and then some dry food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: well he had mycoplasma about 3 months ago and watery eyes. He is beginning to have watery eyes again so I am wondering if he is getting mycoplasma again I am concerned because I know it spreads and I have another kitten 6 months old and then an adult 7 year cat
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How much does he weigh at this time?
2) Is stool normal?
3) Does he show any signs of illness?
4) Was any treatment given for the mycoplasma?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He weighs 8.5 lbs now, appears stool is normal but him and our other kitten use same litter box. He is very active constantly running around the house. Yes he was given 30 days of antibiotics for mycoplasma. Infact, all of our cats were given the antibiotic. All of our cats are indoor only

At 7 months, if he is 8.5 pounds he is actually larger than an average cat at this age. Until 7-10 months of age, we expect kittens to grow at a rate of 1 pound per month of age. Thus, a 4 pound kitten would be roughly 4 months old, 6 pounds would be 6 months, etc. Based on this alone, I would say your companion is likely slowing down weight gain at a natural weight. Does he appear at all thin? emaciated? Is he of purebred origin where one might expect his adult size to be larger than average?

Mycoplasma is typically well treated with antibiotics. If the whole household was treated at the same time, you may not be dealing with mycoplasma this time. However, more common than mycoplasma are the herpes and calici viruses which commonly cause URI symptoms of watery eyes, coughing, nasal discharge, oral inflammation, etc. Has your vet discussed starting lysine therapy for them?