Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

When Rocky decides that he is entitled to a cookie and

Customer Question

When Rocky decides that he is entitled to a cookie and doesn't get it he pins his ears back and tries to bite me. He is a 10 year old Maine coon. This behavior has occurred on and off for quite a while.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Maine's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: He is long haired, annually I have the vey shavehis coat, he does get matted. It has to be done at the vet's because he has to be anesthetized, he becomes so upset. We had a problem with diarreah for a while, but changing his food seems to have solved that problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Aggression like this is not uncommon with cats and of course is quite upsetting for a cat person who wants a good relationship with their cat, but with the right approach you should be able to get it under control, here is my own experience ...

1. A few years back I experienced just this sort of situation { and much worse } when I picked up an injured young cat from the streets of The Philippines, as he recovered and got stronger he attacked me and my wife at every turn. My solution was to buy a large pump up water pistol with a very strong water jet and squirt the cat the moment it tried to attack or showed aggression in any shape or form. I always kept the water pistol handy and Peter { my cat } stopped this unwanted behaviour in about a week. Now as he is getting older he is a much more docile cat and affectionate house cat but if he is showing signs of any unwanted behaviour all I have to do is to show him the water pistol and he backs right down and behaves.

2. In your case you just have to show Rocky that you will not tolerate this sort of behaviour without causing him or any physical harm and of course in a way where he cannot do any damage to you. Cats have no sense of cause and effect so you have to discipline him at once right in the act of his aggression in a way that he cannot avoid, and in a way which will stop him in his tracks.

The water pistol { a very powerful one } is well worth a try, it worked for me ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?