Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I took my cat to the vet today for rear limb amputation at

Customer Question

I took my cat to the vet today for rear limb amputation at the hip. When I went to the vet about 7 hours later, they said he is not doing well with pain and is yelling out whenever he is disturbed. They said he should stay the night and not be moved and they will give him some light sedation so they can put an IV in his leg for liquid pain meds and fluids. I felt horrible seeing him like this! The lady said she has seen this before with some cats and they are all different in how they handle pain. She said the surgery went very well and they used laser for the surgery. Is this normal when they are coming out of surgery? It didn't sound like it to me but I have never gone through this before. I am thinking they did not give him enough pain meds to begin with?? What do you think...is this normal day of surgery?
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Amputations are very painful and they have educated you correctly in that every pet is different. Some cats are stoic about pain and some make it quite well known that they are uncomfortable. Consider this a blessing that he made his pain obvious as you might have otherwise taken him home, found him to be painful and wound up in the ER over the holiday. It also sounds like they are offering him the best care with light sedation and injectable pain medication. Chances are that they did give him the correct amount and he is still in obvious pain. It's hard to predict how much pain medication a pet will need and, unlike humans, they cannot tell us as they're waking up that pain is present. Once they realize it and are vocal, we often are behind the curve by more than a half hour, sometimes more.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800