Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Her right paw is bent and looks different than the left, Se

Customer Question

Her right paw is bent and looks different than the left
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Se was born with a bent paw. Breeder says she was fine. She jumped down from a low bed and was limping. She didn't make any noice. She has no pain. After having touched her joint her paw looked and was functionalling as usual. She is 15 weeks
JA: Did Se have a fall?
Customer: She didn't fall. She jumped down. The distance is approximately 1 feet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Se?
Customer: She was born with a bent paw. When I picked her up fr.o.m. The breder she was fine. But now i don't know what to do. I have pictures
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What breed is she?

Please attach the pictures, when you are able.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is a DEvon Rex. How do I send you the pics?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have uploaded the pictures

This is certainly not normal and the breeder was quite negligent in suggesting that this was not a defect. Have you had this limb x-rayed? Did they? Have any diagnostics been formed? Any diagnoses?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't think the jump from 1 feet caused this. I think she has always had this problem. However the breeder told me this when I reported the problem and she sent me the picture of the kitten.

Based on the second picture, I would be apt to agree. Have you had this limb x-rayed? Did they? Have any diagnostics been formed? Any diagnoses?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She has not had an x-ray. She walks and runs normally and then suddenly her paw is bent and she can't walk normal. A minute later she is walking and acting as nothing has happened
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't have any diagnose. I'm thinking of the fenomena twisted legs. What do you think?

This typically occurs in the rear legs, I would be apt to think otherwise for this reason and the fact that this is a bend and not a twist. That said, when there are closely bred lines we can certainly see deformities like this with less rarity.

At this point, I don't think there's much else that can be determined without veterinary involvement. I am disappointed to hear that this breeder did not have the kitten worked up before placing her, especially since they claim the kitten is perfectly fine. I would go this route if she were my own pet. At very least, you will learn what is wrong structurally and if any options for treatment exist. This can be a good preventive step for the future, as well, if early onset of arthritis might be suspected.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800